Always a surprise

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Jerry Sullivan, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Fall grabs our attention in many ways. The temperatures quickly remind us that change, whether we want it or not, is going to happen. Often it is the last flowering of something that we notice. Sometimes we have to pull delicate plants to preserve them from the pending bite of winter. Autumn tasks abound along with the rounding up of the many products of abscission. Cleaning leaves has me looking closely at some flower beds. One bed for some reason always has me surprised as the lone flower of fall makes its appearance. Meet Crocus specious, the fall crocus:
    IMG_0579.JPG
    The midnight muncher has no clue about these members of the Crocus family and I intend to keep it that way.:)

Jerry

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
    Kay, purpleinopp, Ronni and 1 other person like this.
  2. Loading...

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

very pretty Jerry. there is a monkshood out in the flowerbed unappreciated because well, no one is out there to see it... every year. it blooms so late all the other flowers are dead and gone. nothing else to pick and make a bouquet and certainly too late to set seeds so it never spreads either.

4. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

It is a beautiful picture Jerry...the flowers look like you could reach out and touch them...

5. Odif

Odif Young Pine

Those orange bits look like saffran. When I zoomed, however, I noticed they were slightly different to my saffran.

Advertisement
  6. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

I am not familiar with all the varieties of C. specious, I think this is C. specious 'conquerer'. Planted many years ago its true pedigree is lost in time. Cold nights have now become common so they is now asleep:smt015

If you planted your crocus to harvest the saffron than it is Crocus sativus. Might this be the case?

Jerry

7. Odif

Odif Young Pine

Yes Jerry, I have crocus sativus

8. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

Lovely!