Am I being overly sensitive?...

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by luvdirtyhands1, May 1, 2012.

1. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Love everyone's comments! Agree, agree, agree! There is nothing greener than keeping furniture, clothing etc. in use/circulation and out of landfills. The price for the same quality and uniqueness is cost prohibitive for most (how many can really afford custom?).

What a deal 50's yard furniture! Great steal :). Congratulations

2. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

Going to Flea Market at What Cheer after church Sunday. Looking for dresser for Son.Even if we have refinsh it.

3. gardenaviator

gardenaviator New Seed

She's a hater...she's jealous of your style. SHAKE IT OFF. She wants to be like you. :eek:

Frank likes this.
  4. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Ditto what Jewell said! In my opinion, there is so much more charm in older pieces of furniture, garden objects, etc. I am presently sitting at an old (antique) walnut dining room table that my parents bought, used! My dad made extra walnut leaves for it (which I still have & use) from a dead walnut tree that graced our property when I was growing up. We affectionately call it the 'Last Supper Table' because it can seat 12!

You just don't see the quality in new stuff today. It is made to last a short time, then be thrown out. It starts its life looking junky and ends looking even worse! So, LDH, please enjoy your beautiful treasured patio set and know that many of us on Stew treasure it with you.

Advertisement
  5. luvdirtyhands1

luvdirtyhands1 Seedling

It really is so much fun re-purposing & re-using beautiful old items. I like quite a few different styles.... have no problem with "new" stuff if it's excellent quality. Don't like cheap, gaudy stuff that's particle-board, plastic-lacquer finish or trendy RIGHT NOW! If it's trendy I pretty much don't want it. Anybody can have that 9-piece set from the Hi-Way Discount Barn.... but nobody can have exactly what i've put together & made work beautifully together. I have a grandfather clock that was brought to this country in 1902, when my great grandparents & my grand mother came here from the Netherlands. It had been in mom's family for at least 2 generations before my grand-parents were given it, on their wedding day. I am the 5th. generation that we know of, to inherit this clock. And guess what it's sitting right next to?..... a fantastic high-chair that I found on curb & scrubbed up for my grandson!

CrisGzr likes this.
  6. Cayuga Morning

Sounds lovely LDH! I like your style!

7. DeepWoods

DeepWoods In Flower

Some people are just ignorant. They buy new to try and impress other ignorant people just like them.
    Your neighbor really would not like me...I tend to stop and get stuff off of the side of the road that others sit out for garbage pick-up and I also have a toilet in my front yard with flowers in it.
    Don't worry about people like your neighbor, they are not worth the time and stress.
    I for one would love to see a pic of the patio set, bet it is beautiful!

Have a blooming day!!

8. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I just have to add, folks here are the kindest and best, as well as having impeccable taste in antiques and "junque".
    I also think we are all on the look-out for some 50's patio furniture!

CrisGzr likes this.
  9. Cayuga Morning

I also have to add I just went "dumpster diving" yesterday! While throwing out my bag of garbage after work yesterday, i noticed a brand new shelving system still in its wrapping in the dumpster!!! Too good to pass up. I just hope none of my clients saw me!

10. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

I want to add some ginger bread trim to our house. Got sticker shock when I looked on line-- $ 500. for area up by peak. Seen where they are taking down house. I asked about it-FREE. + porch post Bottoms are bad cut them off with table saw.Fresh paint.

CrisGzr likes this.
  11. CrisGzr

CrisGzr In Flower

LDH, people like this used to always hurt my feelings. I have lived on both coasts, north and south and DC area. I have never until now met people like your neighbors, or rather never met so many! I wanted to join the Garden Club but I was told they'd never let me in because I might bring some 'strange ideas' People turn down our dinner invitations because they are sure i am going to make something 'strange" (true that!)

Let me translate for you, what you neighbor really said: "I feel safer letting others tell me what is right or stylish. I can rest assured that my home / clothes / furniture is pretty and correct because millions of people bought the same thing! No one will think I am different because I am just like them! I will not stand out, I will be part of the crowd." I won't lie to you, I can get very very lonely but with 4 siberian huskies and an awesome husband...

In my neighborhood, we have a woman who is referred to as the "unofficial mayor" she has lawyers send threatening letters to residents from a 'secret committee of concerned citizens', she is the sole member of the committee. To me, she is the most insecure woman I have ever met.

When anyone complains, about her to to me I say:
    "Well, bless her heart, that poor woman! She shouldn't worry herself about what I do, I'm sure she has enough of her own troubles."
    #1 -I know it will get back to her
    #2 -everyone thinks I know something
    #3 -I really make her nervous now LOL

She came over recently to ask why I dropped out of a committee she was heading, I just smiled and made a vague excuse. I continued smiling and she started squirming. The truth was, I has the flu and was afraid if i opened my mouth from the upper deck, I'd vomit down on her. Funny how things work out.

My response to your neighbor would be a big smile and to say:
    "Well, that's always a safer choice! I wish I could be just like you but I fall in love with the design or history and then there I go!"
    You won't change her and she'll think you admire her. She will be very confused.

Droopy likes this.
  12. CrisGzr

CrisGzr In Flower

Oh and I am sooo envious of your find! I am looking for the same thing. I think you will also envy my new mailbox which is next weekend's project! I got it at the Habitat for Humanity Restore for 10% of it's cost. I can only imagine the ruckess I will cause with the mayor of my street. I am off now to post my next project!

13. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Hey, LDH, I like your way of thinking! :D Our home has a rather whimsical style. I brought in some furniture, my husband brought in some, we inherited some and bought some in second-hand shops and some new items. :D

I like quality, and the vintage furniture has quality. I don't care what other people think, I'm the one who's going to use it. I admire people who get what they like and not what other people think they should like. You go! :stew2: