Amaryllis question, no flower bud appearing

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by carolo43, Jun 13, 2010.

1. carolo43

carolo43 New Seed

I bought an Amaryllis bulb in the spring that had a couple inches of green popping out so planted it indoors. My plan was to leave it in the sun until it bloomed then move into a shady area and when done blooming and dried out, put it away in the dark until Fall.

But this thing now has two foot leaves on it and not a sign of a flower bud. Any idea of what to do with this thing? I've had this plant several times but never one that acted quite like this.

[​IMG]

amarillo ( photo / image / picture from carolo43's Garden )

moderator's note: added a more descriptive title to topic

2. Loading...

3. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

Maybe it is an immature bulb :shrug: I have one in a pot in my office. It began as one bulb and now there is a daughter bulb in there. I get leaves but no flowers, yet. I'm waiting patiently :) I think I'd let that one die back naturally and see what happens in the fall. Maybe it's a late bloomer :D

HerbGod15 likes this.
  4. carolo43

carolo43 New Seed

I don't know. They say the longer the leaves, the more nutrients for the bulb so maybe if it decides to bloom this Fall, there will be some nice flowers. The bulb really wasn't very large so could be you're on to something there. Thanks for the help.

5. Palm Tree

Palm Tree Young Pine

Stratsmom is right - It could me an immature bulb.
    I once had an amaryllis that was just as slow and it only bloomed three years after I have bought and planted it.

Some people also force their bulbs, but I usually just leave them in the soil and let them do their thing.

Soon enough you will be rewarded with a large bloom and the waiting will be worth while.

I usually feed my amaryllis with liquid fertilizer once a month when it is in the 'leafy' stage and I usually get two to three flowers per plant. However, this is after growing Amaryllis for seven years. :stew1:

Advertisement
  6. carolo43

carolo43 New Seed

Thanks so much. The information from both of you makes perfect sense to me. I never expected 2 ft leaves. Makes me think I will have one awesome flower if it does decide to do something.

7. carolo43

carolo43 New Seed

To update: Never did get a flower. Put the bulb away to rest and when I looked at it a month later, the goofy thing had started to grow a new shoot after it was at rest. Almost time to haul it out of the dark and give it another go.

8. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

Hopefully it will do something this go around!

9. carolo43

carolo43 New Seed

And it is!!!! Hauled it out of the dark the end of January and already it has now 3 more sections growing from it and a huge big ol' flower bud!!!! yeaaaaaa

10. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Plant blooms are like babies, they are born when they are ready. Photos, we need to see photos. ;)

11. carolo43

carolo43 New Seed

LOL And you will have one as soon as this bud opens (and I have batteries in my camera.) LOL

12. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Hi Carolo43, If you have room to keep your bulb growing year round try to do so. I keep mine growing all the time and it has now bloomed twice this month and the blooms are huge and gorgeous. Mine stays in the greenhouse during the colder parts of the year and outside on the patio(with shade) during the summer. Mine is also in a 12" pot.

13. carolo43

carolo43 New Seed

Never thought of that. I thought the bulb had to rest before flowering again. Thank you, I will try that. I ended up with 3 big flowers but don't know if I will get more now.

14. carolo43

carolo43 New Seed

I found this interesting so passing it along;

Source: http://www.amaryllis.com/pac.htm

15. lily13

lily13 New Seed

Hi, I live in the South East and I have learned to be patient with Amaryllis..the blooms are worth waiting for. I planted some bulbs last Spring;I too got the long leaves etc but no flowers..Spring 2011 I got rewarded with the MOST delightful blooms! They have become my favorite! This site always says my pics are too big so when I can I will post a pic of them.

16. Ever green

Ever green New Seed

This has been a truly helpful thread, as I have been wondering the same thing about my amaryllis. The leaves are four feet long, but I never got any flowers. Thanks for all the info.