Another hummingbird story

Discussion in 'Bird' started by dooley, May 7, 2007.

1. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

Today, I was out trimming dead wood out of the grapevines. I have two hummingbird feeders hanging in the grape arbor. They had gone empty during the day and I was planning on filling them when I finished. One hummer was persistent. He wanted it filled now. He kept circling my head and buzzing about. So, I gave up and unhooked the feeders and went inside. I left the backdoor open. It doesn't have a screendoor and that little hummingbird followed those feeders right into the kitchen. Only trouble was, he didn't follow them back outside. We had a devil of a time trying to get it back outside. It kept landing on a red basket I had hanging by the door. Finally, it went out, covered in webs that were around the basket handle and basket. But, it didn't bother it because it flew directly to the feeder and started eating. Before long several more joined it. The orioles weren't quite as persistent but they kept flying down to check the feeders and chattering at us because we were there and it was empty. They really seem to know that I'm the one who fills it for them. Dooley

2. Loading...

3. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

Our hummers are not nearly as friendly, they buzz me and then are gone from sight.
    Glad the little fellow found his way back out.

4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Glad you were able to get the little guy out of the house.
    I wish we had hummers here, I miss watching them.

5. bethie

bethie Young Pine

I'm glad you got the hummer back out without injury. They are such little gems.

Advertisement
  6. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I wish my Hummers showed that much personality Dooley! They always seem so nervous here.

7. wannabe

wannabe Young Pine

So far we have only had one hummer and the first time he came my feeder hadn't been filled yet. But now I have two filled for it. Wannabe