Another Lavender Question!

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by miss.gypsea, Jun 3, 2019.

1. miss.gypsea

miss.gypsea New Seed

Hello All,

To give you a little background - I have been housesitting in Central Mexico for 4 weeks where temps have been very hot, full sun, drought conditions. The weather has changed in the past 5 days, hurray!

This lavender plant has pretty much looked this way since I arrived, and as you can see, part of the plant has previously been cut away, but I'm curious what you would say the problem is? I might suspect over-watering being that the gardener comes once/week and the homeowner advised me to also water the entire garden once/week. The plant hasn't changed much since I arrived but I definitely don't want to kill it while it's under my care!

As a COMPLETE novice gardener, I would think the very dry ground here could soak up a few over-waterings, no? However, I really don't know how deep this soil goes. But perhaps with two waterings a week happening for a long time the plant has had enough? Or is it underwatered?!

As you can see some of the flowers are dying, but there is still new growth happening. I really don't know much about plant life cycles, but I'm in the midst of a crash course here!

What would be your suggestion here? A lot of the outer part of the plant looks very healthy, but the inside does not. Should I be concerned?!

Apparently, my image files from my phone are too big to upload so below are 2 links to google images which are public. Feedback is appreciated - thanks!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hxKdK86xyir17E9GyqDP3vv7tGlPtiC-/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/16DFCS1VkFtRW8mYn_kf_yScC5uml2U3T/view?usp=sharing

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Too much water. Lavender is native to the area around Mediterranean sea and requires full sun, heat and dry soil. I do not know if those plants will recover but stop watering them and see what happens

4. miss.gypsea

miss.gypsea New Seed

Thank you! And so how often would you suggest to water? Should the gardener even be watering once/week or is that too much?

5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Lavender really does not need weekly watering. In it's native area it lives on what it gets without supplemental help. Also, what is the humidity level there....dry air is great but high humidity will cause that kind of damage too.

Advertisement
  6. miss.gypsea

miss.gypsea New Seed

Humidity really varies throughout the year. Until the recent weeks humidity has been VERY low as we've been in the drought months with high heat, but now that rainy season is setting in, today humidity is at 47% and as rainy season progresses the humidity will definitely increase. Darn, I hope they don't come home to a dead plant! But I think it's been on the decline for a while now.

7. Odif

Odif Young Pine

I am sure it will be fine. I have seen lavender growing in very wet conditions. Once a week watering is ok.