Another nice warm day

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by 2ofus, Mar 11, 2016.

1. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

It seemed odd to be out working in the gardens when there is a 3 foot (.9m) snow bank on the north side of the house but all of the snow is melted where the sun shine hits. We trimmed back all the clematis vines and cut back the dead tops of the perennials. Also did a drastic trim on the honeysuckle vine and shaped up the shrubs. I know it is the wrong time of year but I dug up some lily bulbs that couldn't be dug last fall. I'm keeping them in some dirt and will cover them with dry compost until the ground is dry enough to plant them and cross my fingers that they grow. This is the first day that has been nice enough to be outside and I have a feeling I'm going to be a little sore tomorrow. It was so nice though to be out in the sunshine. :smt026:smt041:sing:

Frank and Sjoerd like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

We've had some great weather here too, and our snow is all gone. I was able to work the soil a little and found no frost in the ground at all. As much as I like being out in the garden, it just seems so strange for March.

4. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

That's the way I feel. It snowed a little yesterday and a slight amount last night but for that one day I was able to get outside. I'll be starting my seeds soon. It looks like we're going to have an early spring. :fingerscrossed:

5. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Today I was able to edge a garden, weed and turn my compost pile. I have never been able to do that in March before! Top dressed the tomato bed with some lovely compost too. I am all for an early spring, lets just hope mother nature doesn't change the program!

carolyn likes this.