Another question about old style jars with glass lids

Discussion in 'Food Preservation and Storage' started by Netty, Jul 9, 2016.

1. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I am still determined to use these old style jars!! I know the glass lids and rubber seals are no longer recommended. I just realized that if you remove the rubber seal and the glass lid and replace it with new style lid, the zinc ring still fits and seems to hold the lid in place! Has anyone tried to can with these jars and lids this way? Do the lids still seal?

Philip Nulty likes this.
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. gardentoad
      Replies:
      Views:

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Double check the threads around the top of the jar and the inside of the lid, if they aren't an exact match they may Fit but not hold a seal.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Netty, I had several of the old style jars--rubber rings, glass lids. I used them for pickles. Finding the rubber rings is the problem, and when we moved to Texas I couldn't find them. I ended up using the jars for ice box pickles, and for storing pastas and rice. Sealing wasn't a problem for those items, and I still got to use my old and loved jars!

Philip Nulty likes this.
  5. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I am thinking of the ones I have and the (maybe) problem I see is you are removing the glass lid and the rubber ring which is a lot thicker that the new lids. I'm afraid the zinc ring will not be able to be screwed down tight enough to put enough pressure on the thinner lid. I have friends that can with the old jars but they use the new rings with the new lids. I would try canning only one jar and see how it works. Please let us know how it turns out.

Philip Nulty likes this.

Advertisement
  6. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Netty,..very interesting question,..i have Green Glass Jars and Blue Glass Jars with the rubber seal,..being years old the rubber seals have perished so i discarded them,..so when i purchase Beetroot in the plastic wrapping once opened they will go off,.. i had to avail of the jars without the rubber seals,..so i used two layers of Cling Film over the top of the Jar then screwed the lid on,..they stay fresh.

stratsmom likes this.
  7. Netty

The lids seem to line up with the rim of the jars. I think I will try a few the next time I can. It would be great if I was able to use these jars!

Philip Nulty and stratsmom like this.
  8. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I'd like to see a picture of the jars, I love old stuff like that :)

Philip Nulty likes this.
  9. mart

mart Strong Ash

Why not use them with jams, jelly, pickles ect ? They are more likely to seal well enough with that method. I would not use them with any low acid produce. Botulism is not a good thing. Jams and jellies will let you use the jars without being toxic if they do not seal well. And the old style jars look good sitting on the breakfast table.
    And if you look around, i think you can still buy the rubber seals, Check ebay !

Philip Nulty likes this.
  10. Netty

I have new rubber seals, but I am not sure how to use the glass lids. How would you tell if they were sealed? Since the use of the old seals and lids is no longer recommended, I do not want to use them. I don't want to make anyone sick!

Philip Nulty likes this.
  11. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

What kind of glass lids, are you talking about clamp on with a metal bail?
    The rubber rings are available at most large hardware stores (not the big box stores), the ACE chain of stores carries several different sizes.
    I read not long ago that if you are using the clamp on glass lids, release the clamp and pick the jar up by the lid....if it comes loose then it didn't seal, refrigerate the jars instead of putting them in the pantry.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  12. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

I think the old jars with the clamp lids are beautiful but even with new rubber rings I'd only be using them for jams, pickles - stuff like that (be real cautious re: botulism as with a glass top there is, unless the jar is oozing stuff, no way to tell if the contents have blown which is a perk to the metal lids)

Philip Nulty likes this.
  13. Netty

No, they are just the glass tops with the zinc bands Toni.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  14. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I have lots of zinc and glass tops and jars that I have most put away. I have bought new red rubber rings for the glass tops with hermes clamps and use them for different kinds of salts and peppers for near my stove while cooking. Cute and all. All the rest have been put away. They are not worth much but are very special to me. I used to put jams and jellies in the rubber ring jars with clamps and would now but I do not put up jams and jellies anymore...we just don't use enough of that kind of product. I have found that the new rings fit on the jars instead of the zinc lids. So I use that combo.

I won' be canning this year...

Philip Nulty likes this.
  15. mart

mart Strong Ash

You won`t be canning this year Barb ? You are not ill are you ?

16. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Philip Nulty likes this.