Another Quilt Top.

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Crafts' started by Daniel W, Dec 12, 2021.

1. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Young Pine

he colors o these two so e pics are very much on the cool side. I do like them vey nice.

Logan likes this.
  2. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

@Pacnorwest, I don't mind at all, but you might want to check your spelling... :)

Cayuga Morning, Pacnorwest and Logan like this.
  3. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Young Pine

Where’s Spell check…when you need it…:(

Logan, Cayuga Morning and Daniel W like this.
  4. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Spell check is what creates the problem!

Pacnorwest likes this.

Advertisement
  5. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

You can edit that.... :)

Logan and Pacnorwest like this.
  6. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Young Pine

Daniel. I’m sorry just don’t have the time some days to read things like I usually do for mistakes. I am my DH care taker he is ill so my hands are sometimes on overload. I will try not to be so careless .. :)
    OK time for a chocolate bar… always helps…

AAnightowl and Logan like this.
  7. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Don't worry Pacnorwest, we all make spelling mistakes. I've really got used to the spell checker on my phone.

Pacnorwest likes this.
  8. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

You do an awesome job @Daniel W. I do a little bit of quilting, but so far not as good as yours.

I like to reuse fabrics to make quilts or other items. I have a stash of men's shirts for making a man's shirt quilt. I saw the idea on FB in a recycle, reuse group..

Pacnorwest likes this.
  9. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Oooh, @Daniel W, I am so impressed with your skills, your thoroughness during the process, and your way of combining colours. Your quilts look good enough to eat!

Cayuga Morning and Pacnorwest like this.
  10. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Young Pine

Daniel. I totally Agree.:smt060 Adore the pics of your so perfect and creative quilts and all your beautiful craft items.
    ‘they are worthy of a first place winner in the state fairs.

11. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

Here is an update on the burgundy / cranberry / ? star quilt.

I made all of the half white/grey pattern, half burgundy/ mauve/cranberry pattern, half square triangles. They are squares, 2 1/2 inches on a side, 288 of them. Eventually, they will all be connected to make one big star, with red shade diamonds at the points and where the lines cross.

DED7DCE0-2869-4DED-9525-ACCD2D2AF62F.jpeg

All but two of the red fabrics are from cotton shirts. The other two are batik fabric that I ordered. I preferred to find more shirt fabric, but I think the batik actually adds something nice.

There will be a mixed grey and white patterns background. I want to see how the parts fit together before I decide whether those will be whole fabric or pieced squares designed to blend together. I was also thinking about how to handle the kind of plain areas on the sides, and think a mid-tone, grey patterns half star design might work at the edges. I dug into my box of saved collars and cuffs, all that remains of most of the shirts I used for previous quilts. (Almost a Sjoerd-level frugality. :rolleyes: I have plans for those). I found these.

AEC19D44-AD89-40D1-A08A-70C6AAC9A9A4.jpeg

The diamonds are 2 inches on a side, 2 1/2 inches with the seam allowance. This collar was about 2 inches wide. I carefully removed all of the stitching. After ironing flat, I think I have enough.

95C722F8-8EA1-4E57-9D12-A0F9B1B60FFB.jpeg

Then I found some shirt cuffs, also all that remains of a shirt that went into two quilts. Similar process.

7ED10266-D855-4D64-AE73-9130F339B723.jpeg

I did the same with some other scraps, and now have enough for four half-stars for the edges, which is what I wanted.

1CE80367-9005-4BCE-9D30-A8583C5E8A56.jpeg

I'm still not certain I'll actually use those. I need to put the rest together first and see what I think.

Now I'm sewing the half-square triangles together to make sides of the big star.

I'm happy this quilt is finally starting to grow.

12. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Young Pine

Daniel that is going to be a beautiful quilt. I really like the pattern and colors. It is very intricate and a lot of detailed work. Can;t wait to see it finishes. Keep us posted.

Daniel W likes this.
  13. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

It's interesting to me to see how you figure it out, what colors to use, what scraps you have on hand that will go with it etc.

Daniel W and Pacnorwest like this.
  14. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

Update on the burgundy / cranberry / mauve / maroon with background in various shades and patterns of white and grey, star quilt. Now the overall shape starts to emerge. The "big star" has 1/2 of its sections now.

A0B0F7F4-9921-4A26-885C-3F4D6D21840C.jpeg

I'm still not certain about the grey diamond half-stars on the edges. I want to like them. There will be a "reds" star in each corner, like the ones at the junctions of each section. The final border will contain the reds too, so I think the grey diamonds will be like shadows in the background and not attraction, which is my plan. The original pattern had big expanses of un-pieced fabric where I added those grey half-stars, and I want it to be more "pieced", which will be sort of white or pale grey tones, again to be a background and not compete with the main theme. I have the idea in my mind, but won't know if I like it until I get to that point.

Each triangle has a number taped to it, so I don't mix them up. Which I have done before o_O

If it goes according to my mental image, each point will be a different fabric, as will each diamond within a star. So far, they are.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2023
  15. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Cor Daniel— I don’t know what to say. This is so far removed from things I know about. I can see and read how you do what you do and how you think about putting it all together. There is thought and considerations.

Well mate, I just look and am amazed. I simply appreciate your work. Chapeau.

Droopy, Cayuga Morning and Pacnorwest like this.