Another Quilt Top.

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Crafts' started by Daniel W, Dec 12, 2021.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Mate, I have run out of complimentary things to say about your quilting abilities. It is so good and it really does keep getting better. I’ll bet my mum would have loved to see your postings. She quilted also. I still have one of her last ones on one of the beds. She made that one with her sister, my aunt.

Pacnorwest, Daniel W and eileen like this.
  2. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

Sjoerd, I would enjoy seeing a photo of your mum's quilt. That's a treasure to cherish.

I have a quilt, made by my great grandmother Wilhelmina (Minnie). She was born in the Rhineland Palatinate. The quilt is probably about 90 years old. It's kept in an old steamer trunk, from my other great grandmother. Some day, I'll photograph it.

Jewell, Pacnorwest and eileen like this.
  3. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

I think this will be a fun quilt. I'm making it as a gift for my sister-in-law who lives in China. I'm still procrastinating finishing the star quilt because Im not sure of what I want to do.

These are samples of fabric, 10" square. One stack is batik and one stack is faint grey patterns on white.

IMG_1606.jpeg

Pair each color square with a white square, facing together. Actually, with batik, both sides are the same anyway. That's why the colors are so rich. Sew them together around the edges, 1/4 inch seam.

IMG_1608.jpeg

Cut the sewn square, corner to corner, both ways.

IMG_1609.jpeg

Now fold open and press. It's four half-square triangles. Arrange to make an 'hourglass" center.

IMG_1611.jpeg

Sew together with 1/4 inch seams. This is a nice, and traditional, kind of quilt block. Next we make it much more modern.

IMG_1612.jpeg

Now cut into vertical and horizontal thirds, as exact as possible. I need to work on this. I'm not that precise. I added marked painter's tape to the cutting mat to help with measurements.

IMG_1614.jpeg

Now flip around the corners, sides, 180 degrees, and the center square 90 degrees. The hourglass disappears and a star emerges. When the stars are sewn together, there will be a little hourglass at each corner, sort of an accent or memory of where we started.

IMG_1617.jpeg

Now sew together with 1/4 inch seams. It's basically a nine-patch. Here are two of them.

IMG_1618.jpeg

It sounds easy, and it's not too bad. I'm slow. Using the pre-cut ten inch squares makes it go a little faster, although they are not all cut perfectly. Also, the first corner - to - corner cuts make it all bias cut, which is kind of tricky. Using fabric samplers ("layer cakes") makes it possible to have a lot of different colors, although I might not like them all. The entire ten-inch square is used, so no waste.

This block is on the internet as "disappearing hourglass". There are lots of traditional quiltblocks that get similar treatment. It's kind of magical.

The last time I made a quilt, the intended recipient died before receiving it. I hope I'm not a jinx, please, please!

eileen, Logan, Jewell and 2 others like this.
  4. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Daniel ..Gonna be another Stunner.:sete_005:

eileen and Sjoerd like this.

Advertisement
  5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Bravo Daniel. Another beauty is in the works.

eileen and Pacnorwest like this.
  6. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

I took a break from the garden and got out this quilt. It was made by my great grandmother in the 1930s. The pattern is called "Grandmother's flower garden". These were often made from sewing scraps and from fabric flour sacks that were sold with fabric to use for quilts. Every stitch is hand-sewn.

IMG_2651.jpeg

I hand washed it, gentle soap, and air dried it. Old fabric is fragile. It looks a little brighter than it was.

IMG_2655.jpeg

IMG_2658.jpeg

IMG_2654.jpeg

My great grandmother's name was Wilhelmina. In all of her photos, she looks a bit stern. She bore 13 babies, only 4 survived to adulthood.

She's the lady in the dark clothing.

IMG_3854.jpeg

I would like to find a home for the quilt. I emailed my much younger cousin, maybe she would like to have it.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2023
    Frank, Sjoerd, eileen and 1 other person like this.
  7. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

This is a beautiful work of art Daniel - you can count the time in every stitch, and see the pride. That is very nice that you are trying to pass it on in the family. It washed up nicely too :)

Sjoerd, eileen and Logan like this.
  8. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Yet another triumph Daniel!!

Sjoerd likes this.
  9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

That is a very lovely quilt and it is interesting to see close-ups of handwork. The foto was also an interesting look into the past.
    That is a piece to be proud of. I hope that it will be kept and treasured.

eileen likes this.
  10. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

Completed the red star quilt top today. I feel pretty satisfied with how it came out. There were lots of challenges and learnings along the way.

IMG_3255.jpeg

The back is also pieced. It's OK, but it doesn't have to be too decorative since it's the back.

71107963142__87EE3DBD-8333-4428-92D5-83E0FC8D5B7F.jpeg

I liked working with this pattern. I plan to repeat it with many-colored, richly colored batik fabric. But first, there are two others to complete as gifts, and a Christmas pattern is calling my name as well.

11. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

It looks as if someone in the last photo approves of the quilt Daniel. Maybe considering it for a new dog bed? ;)

12. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Looks great Daniel.

13. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Nice looking bit of work there, Daniel. The grey tints look chic. You are as thoughtful with your quilts as you are with your gardens. Your quilts really are quite nice.

Logan likes this.
  14. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

That's a beautiful quilt Daniel. I like the subtlety of the grey shades against the white & red.

15. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

Thank you @Cayuga Morning .

Now I'm organizing the fabrics and tidying up. There are several in the planning stages.

I have been looking for quilt backings that cost less, without doing piece-work backing. One of the thrift stores here sometimes has unused, high quality, 100% cotton sheets. They are usually missing the matched sheet or pillows cases, but the cost is so much less than fabric store backing. And if I'm careful, the quality can be better. I found a few that should work. One will be a flannel backing, for a daily use quilt. I haven't quilted on flannel, so it will be interesting.

The nice thing about buying in person, is I can evaluate the quality of the fabric. Some are really good. Most get rejected, for being too thin, too light, not a pattern I like, or too small (such as twin size).

Cayuga Morning and Logan like this.