Antique oak table

Discussion in 'Interior Design' started by stratsmom, Apr 17, 2007.

1. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

Does anyone know how I could decipher the age of a table? Last night I was given an old oak pedestal table that had belonged to my mother-in-law's mother-in-law :-D She bought it 2nd hand to use as a sewing table so we don't know much about it's history. It has 4 carved claw feet that sit on very old looking casters. It also absorbed some of that "old lady house" smell. How do I get rid of that???
    Thanks,
    Deanna
    :-D

2. Loading...

3. katsback

katsback In Flower

Wow,Ron has a old oak table,im not sure of the age, but its got the claw feet too,i'd look up antiques on a web site,there are plenty,some you can even send e-mails to with your pic,and they can tell ya.formby's has soap cleaners ,you might look into them and see what they might have to get rid of musty smells! We have alot of oak pieces in the house,and i know Ron never uses furniture polish, it ruins the wood! believe me, i ruined one of his tables, polishing it,...good luck..

4. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

GOOD ADVICE!!
    Thanks Kat
    Deanna

5. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

This table sounds wonderful Deanna. Oh can you PLEASE post a picture of it?

Advertisement
  6. Polly

Polly Thumb Gardener

One of the best cleaners we have found for antique furniture is called Antique Refinishers Wood Cleaner available from vandykes.com. We do a lot of furniture repair and restoration and have found it to work great. It removes years of dirt, wax buildup, etc. without damaging the original finish. We have used it many times instead of refinishing a piece of furniture.

7. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

Netty, I will try to post a photo. Unfortunately I am so computer challenged... :oops:
    One of my personal goals is to learn how to do the camera/computer thing :D I keep saying as soon as I have a few extra minutes but that never seems to happen!
    Deanna