Any composters here?

Discussion in 'Organic Gardening' started by marlingardener, Sep 2, 2010.

1. halfway

halfway Seedling

That is an even better idea for the pipe (adding water). At least when we are above freezing. Great idea...I will make it to serve a dual purpose....too easy!! :idea:

2. halfway

halfway Seedling

The bins. Adding the 3rd was a much needed addition as I can use it to store either raw materials or finished compost while I turn the other 2 for aeration and watering.

The bin on the right has been emptied of compost. The middle bin is the current working pile. It has a small layer of leaves on top and down the front side. The left bin is raw material, mainly leaves and grass clippings. I add a handful of that pile to cover the kitchen waste that is continually added to the middle bin.

All will be snow covered in the near future though.

[​IMG]

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Those are handsome bins! Having a third one is a great idea, which I plan to implement this winter when the growing season calms down and I have a bit more time to saw and hammer. Your photos are good, too!

4. halfway

halfway Seedling

Thanks marlin!

The 3rd one was needed last year. I am glad I got it finished and ready for spring.

Advertisement
  5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

You're way ahead of me! I still haven't gotten our third bin built, but it is nearing the top of my "to-do" list!

6. Coppice

Coppice In Flower

The only way I kept a covered pile hot through a new england winter was to add daily food scraps and monthly a barrel of goat manure and a barrel of leaves to each pile.

It still slowed way down, even with turning...

7. halfway

halfway Seedling

I could use some goat manure! The piles have finally frozen solid. Food scraps get covered by a layer of leaves and grass from the other bin, but any heat will have to wait until spring!

I am glad I kept a big pile of straight leaves and grass clippings or I would have no where for the kitchen scraps to go other than on top of the frozen pile. I'm sure critter would love that on a warm day, LOL!

8. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Marlingardner,If you have a pickup drive over to Madisonville on Hwy.75 south app 6 miles on the other side of Madisonville to Monterey Mushroom Plant
    and get some of the best compost .Its a very good price.The best I ever used.Call them if you like 936-730-3600.

9. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Glenda,
    What do you mean "IF" we have a pick-up? Honey, we are in Texas and the pick-up truck is the national vehicle!
    Seriously, thank you for the connection to a source of mushroom compost. We will be going to a bee-keeping symposium near Navasota, and can pick up some on the way home. We have a tarp to cover the truck bed so I won't be fertilizing the roadway! My asparagus patch will thank you.

10. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

I felt like you did have one.Be sure and call to find out what days and what hours.For some reason
    lots of people doesn't know about it being near enough.They also deliver.I'm not sure the cost on delivery.I had some of the best gardens when I was able .It does not produce sweet watermelons.