Any good contractors?

Discussion in 'Home Improvement, DIY and Repair' started by jeckyjil, Sep 13, 2008.

1. jeckyjil

jeckyjil New Seed

Hi,

My wife and I just buy a house in San Diego, and we are first time home owner, so we know little about home improvement, such as flooring -- hardwood floor and ceramic tile. Can anybody recommend some good contractors?

BTW: Can we save money by buying materials and hiring professionals both from HomeDepot?

2. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I don't know how many members here live in the San Diego area who can give you some suggestions.

Contractor prices vary so much from one part of the U.S. to another and certainly from one part of the world to another that your best bet is to ask friends, neighbors, relatives, business associates for recommendations.
    Or call some contractors in your area to get bids on the job, then go to HD and compare with their prices.

I do know that both Home Depot and Lowes have classes for homeowners to learn to do home improvement projects themselves. You might check into that...some of the flooring is really easy to install but the tile could be trickier, requiring a professional. But taking the classes will never be a waste of time.

3. remodelingdan

remodelingdan New Seed

Congratulations on the home in San Diego, a great place to live.

Asking for recommendations is the way to find a good contract. Ask on this forum, and also ask your neighbors, and people living near by. Your real estate agent is a great source for referrals..as are referrals from other contractors.

Regarding Home Depot contractors. The contractors who sign up with Home Depot are the same local ones you can contact directly. THey pay home depot a fee for the referral. I have found their prices are OK..not great..And quality is typical too..the one advantage, as i learned, was if something goes wrong Home Depot will try and make things right where if you contract directly with the contractor..they may or may not try and work out a solution with you.

Good Luck