Any Natural Ways To Rid Weeds

Discussion in 'Lawn Care' started by Lets Plant, Jan 31, 2008.

1. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 New Seed

Very true.
    Standard vinegar will do little to kill weeds.
    The vinegar used for killing weeds is not standard and is a bit, shall we say, obnoxiuos.
    Again, as has been mentioned, vinegar is not "selective, it will kill more than what it is sprayed on.
    Check out organic sites for products that are meant to selectively kill weeds rather than using a concoction that could be harmful to you yourself.
    20% vinegar is corrosive and damaging to skin.
    Vinegar will not kill perennial weeds as it is not absorbed into the root system, it will only kill off some top growth and the perennial weed will resprout.

The PH of vinegar is around 2.4.

2. Biita

Biita Arctic-ally Challenged Forager

Well i would pick the weeds, pickle them in the vinager duluted with water, little sugar, add some veggies out of the garden and some herbs, let stand for 2 weeks. Eat and enjoy! I'm serious.

we have vineger here that is 35%, so lots of water.

3. GardenGreen

GardenGreen New Seed

That is absolutely correct, hoe and hoe.

If all natural is your desired method then there is no easy way around it.

And I used to hate hoeing!

4. chrisem

chrisem New Seed

This is more of a long term solution, but check the pH of your lawn. Most weeds like more acidic soil, while grass likes neutral, or about 6.5. If you build up your soil with fertilizer and compost, and balance the pH, the grass will slowly begin to crowd the weeds out. That's what I'm trying right now.

Advertisement
  5. GrandaddyDayCare

GrandaddyDayCare Seedling

The most natural way to eliminate weeds is to keep your lawn cut at a minimum of 3". The thicker and taller the grass is the less sunlight the weeds get which they need to grow. I recommend using a recycling mulching mower and never bag your grass. Using this method your grass will thicken and eventually crowd the weeds out. The only other thing you will need to do is aerate and dethatch occasionally. Hope this helps with the weeds.

6. sgmgarden

sgmgarden In Flower

Hot boiling water is a natural way of getting rid of any unwanted weeds. The heat of the water when poured on them, causes them to shrivel up. I hope this helps!