Any one canning tomatoes now?

Discussion in 'Food Preservation and Storage' started by bsewnsew, Aug 26, 2010.

1. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

I am canning tomatoes now .Wating for the jars to sterilize.

Anyone else on this?

bali

moderator's note: moved topic to more appropriate forum

2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Wish I were! Our tomatoes go into "sleep mode" for July and August, recover with the cooler temps and we get another good crop in the fall. I canned like crazy in late May and June, also made tomato basil butter and dried tomatoes in olive oil.
    I'm anxious for the next wave of tomatoes to come!

4. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

Wow a professional amongs us.
    I dont do all that.
    Whip the recipe on us of
    Tomato basil butter? New to me.

Thanks an happy gardening
    bali

5. mart

mart Strong Ash

Nope,,, finished with that. Doing pear preserves now. Tomato, basil butter ? Thats a new one. Please post that recipe. Sounds good. I still have basil coming out of my ears.

Advertisement
  6. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

Mart

Lets see your pear preserves.
    I have pears that taste horrible canned. Maybe I can do a preserve an like it >lol
    b

7. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I'll happily share the recipe for tomato basil butter, but I'll post it separately so as not to hijack this topic.

8. mart

mart Strong Ash

Are your pears the really hard, like a brick, fall type? If so they are perfect for pear preserves. Just peel and cut off the core in bite size chunks. Put about a half cup of sugar into a dutch oven or other large heavy pot. Then add a layer of pears and a good sprinkling of sugar all the way up till the pot is about 3/4 full. Make sure that the sugar is added last.Put on lid and allow to sit on counter overnight. The sugar will draw the juice from the pears for your syrup. Next day add another cup of sugar, bring to a boil, reduce heat and cook on med.low till all is a med. to dark caramel color. Stir occassionally. This part is just to your taste. Some like it darker than I do. When done to your liking, fill jars while hot, add lids and rings and seal tight. Turn jars upside down for ten minutes and then upright. Listen for ding as they seal. It may take more sugar than I have in the recipe because it depends on the amount of juice your pears have. If you need more,juice add a bit more sugar. Let jars cool overnight before storing.

9. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

No ours are soft right now. We eat .
    Are you speaking of winter pears? We dont have them any more.
    I have to eat them all myself.LOL

Sounds like a great easy way.

barb
    thanks

10. mart

mart Strong Ash

They are called fall pears, keeper pears and winter pears. They are the ones that are really hard. Wish I had a few soft ones. I love them canned in a syrup. Better than store bought. I have a tree for them but it just had one this year as its a young tree and just starting to produce fruit. Maybe next year.

11. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Our plants had about a dozen tomatos on them Barb.We had 6 plants.

12. gardentoad

gardentoad Seedling

I've been making sauce with my tomatoes this year. I usually can a lot of salsa but this year I took the easy way and run them through a juicer, then ran the pulp back though several times. It was easier than blanching them then peeling and chopping them all. I even ran the onions and garlic through the juicer. For deeper color I added a beet. I cook it down to half volume with a bay leaf then add oregano, basil, salt and pepper. I make several different sized jars so I have some when both daughters come home in quart jars, some in pint jars for just my husband and I and some in half pints that are good for 2 or 3 pizzas.

In 2008 I canned several cases of pears and we still haven't eaten them all. Last year I dehydrated pears. This year I picked a few to eat fresh but the chipmunks,rabbits, bees and butterflys are getting most of them.

13. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

glenda

Mine are very skinny ones also.But I did plant about 50 so that is sneaking in a few cards.LOL

Garden toad,
    Sounds great that way. Your sauce. We dont eat them in a sause.HD doesnt like pizza . Only spagetti maybe once a month . so I just buy sauce.

i arent good at pizza. We prefer celery onion peppers an tomato for stew. Tiny bit of garlic. We arent into garlic.

But I bet yours is good.
    Thanks for sharing
    barb