Any tips on getting rid of string Algea

Discussion in 'Water Gardening' started by Jnieto0560, May 2, 2013.

1. Jnieto0560

Jnieto0560 New Seed

This winter, my pond (around 1000 gallons) has developed massive amounts of string algea. I mean MASSIVE amounts of the stuff. It's covering everything, it would cover the fish if they stayed still long enough. I cleaned out and got the waterfall and stream going last week and am manually taking the stuff out a bit at a time. I also changed out about 200 gallons. I'll do another 200 Gallon water change this weekend and continue to manually clean the junk out. I also plan on putting in a few pounds of activated carbon and zeolyte to help clean it up. IS there anything else I can do to get rid of the stuff?

2. Loading...

3. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

There is a chemical that supposedly works on it. Just do an internet search for String Algea and it will pop up.
    I've never used it so I can't testify to it's effectiveness.
    I've had that algae before in one of my container ponds and it just gave it a good cleaning and haven't had it since. It must really be a chore to have to clean out such a large pond.
    Good luck!

4. Jnieto0560

Jnieto0560 New Seed

I'll need to research that. I have several Koi in the pond so have to be real careful about that, I don't want to hurt the Koi and have read of a few horror stories on algea killer killing fish as well!

5. thepondlady

thepondlady In Flower

I use AlgeaFIx! I have tried "EVERYTHING" and I have found nothing works like it! It does not harm the fish of the pond plants! I have quit trying thee other remedies, I just stick with the one I KNOW will do the job.

Frank and Jnieto0560 like this.

Advertisement
  6. Jnieto0560

Jnieto0560 New Seed

I ordered a 16 oz bottle of the Algea Fix. Hoprfully it will do the trick (Thanks Pond lady!). I'll post back and let you know how it goes.

7. thepondlady

thepondlady In Flower

Follow the direction exactly and you will see the stuff die! A UV light also helps by killing the little new plants and Green algae as well.