Anybody else notice dead bees?

Discussion in 'Wildlife in the Garden' started by cuatro-gatos, Jul 6, 2008.

1. gardenelf

gardenelf In Flower

That's what's puzzling me: I myself use absolutely no poison of any kind in my garden (the rust on my roses I just cut away in the end, not wanting to spray the toxic stuff). The other people in my row of houses either don't do ANY gardening (it shows :D ), or they have their yards tiled over, no plants worth mentioning.
    Our council has a policy of not using insecticides or herbicides, so it couldn't be from them, either.
    Any farm land that used to be around here has gone, sold off to be built on. Lots of houses absolutely everywhere, no meadows or fields left at all. Another possible culprit gone.
    Now you know why this is such a conundrum, all possible sources of any kind of toxin have been excluded. Too weird for words :eek:. Scary too, because the bumbles are not dying, just very, very lethargic, as if it were too cold (which it isn't). :-?

2. jbest123

jbest123 In Flower

Bees travel 3 1/2 miles from the hive. I think there would more people in that radius that spray poisons than you think. John

3. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I was taking pictures after dinner and I was trying to decide what kind these are, I think they are Bumble Bees?

[​IMG]
    Bee on my butterfly bush... ( photo / image / picture from Sherry8's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Bee on a cosmo... ( photo / image / picture from Sherry8's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Bee on a cosmo... ( photo / image / picture from Sherry8's Garden )

4. Mrs. Hankshaw

Mrs. Hankshaw Seedling

This has been very worrisome to me also. I'm happy to report that I have not seen any dead bees. I have gotten a lot of bees, especially bumblebees visiting my coleus flowers daily.

Advertisement