Anybody recently retired? Or contemplating retirement?

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Cayuga Morning, Feb 1, 2014.

1. wannabe

wannabe Young Pine

I retired 16 years ago, when I finished paying my youngest son's college tuition. I have savings, a work pension and Soc. Sec. My husband retired a year later and has a good pension, Soc. Sec. and a we have savings and investments. We have been busier since we retired then when we worked but we can go at our "speed" and do things we like to do. We went to retirement workshops before we retired and found them very helpful.

Jewell, Cayuga Morning and Frank like this.
  2. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Hi all,
    Here is an update on my retirement plans.
    It has been 3 years since I started this thread. I have cut my private practice hours by half. I now only have 20+ patient hours a week now. I stopped taking new clients some time ago & recently also stopped taking returning clients. That decision was hard but necessary if I am to actually reduce my hours.

So, recently a young woman called whom I'd treated as a teen. A sweetie. A real sweetie. (I am a sucker for teens and young adults, I enjoy them, I enjoy seeing their growing ability to reflect on themselves & learn from their mistakes)...it was hard to do, but I referred her to a trusted colleague. She will be in good hands.

My husband recently had a health scare. It looks as though he will be ok, but that has accelerated my wish to retire. We want to take long distance biking trips, hiking trips, etc. It is dawning on me that time is short.

Jewell likes this.
  3. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    I retire this summer, when school is out. It is funny how priorities change. I was surprised by my own change...all emotional...on my love of work. I have several trips planned for summer, fall and the following winter. Hubby will be coming along as I can drag him away from work. Feel really blessed to have the health, energy and time to explore. Of course I have a long list of never ending projects I want to do also. Glad you will be taking more time for yourself and yours.

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Any one contemplating putting off retirement should find the movie UP and watch at least the first 20 minutes...but the whole movie is really cute (it is animated but assuredly NOT a cartoon) It has changed the way of thinking of a few people we know and they are now taking more time away from work and the hum-drum of daily life and are doing things as many of them have said "before it is too late"

Advertisement
  5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I am not even close... but I already worry that we won't actually ever be able to retire. I worry a bit that all the money put into SS won't be there when we get to that point. we have out own put away but not nearly enough at this point... we have a ways to go but we will always (as long as our health is good enough) have the greenhouse to rely on. it is already up established and the Spring stuff is not that difficult.

6. cajuncappy

cajuncappy In Flower

I still ain't made up my mind yet. I am either a retired or unemployed boat captain. We enjoyed the last couple years, wrote a book, road tripped to Canada and had several adventures. But my precious savings are disapearing at an alarming rate and either we become best sellig authors or I'll have to try to get back on the water or work at walmart as a greeter or something.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2017
    carolyn and Cayuga Morning like this.
  7. Cayuga Morning

Yeah, the money issue is always a worry. I hope yoy are able to figure things out cappy.

I hope to do things with my husband while we still can, even if it is on a budget.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  8. CJay

CJay In Flower

I suppose I should ask about your finincial situation. Im not nearly ready to retire yet. But I will be lightning my workload significantly now that my son is here. But Ive been fortunate enough to have most everything paid off so my budget is much more flexable than most.

What kind of debt do you have? If you dont mind my asking.

9. Cayuga Morning

CJay
    We are fortunate in that we are ok financially. We have always been frugal people plus we have been blessed. Our hope is to be able to help out our grown kids.

Congrats on your new son! He has a good mom.

cajuncappy and CJay like this.
  10. CJay

CJay In Flower

Thank you.

11. cajuncappy

cajuncappy In Flower

C Morning that's the way we are we have always been frugal. We love simple country life. we garden grow fruit freeze and can stuff. We fish etc to supplement our food I shop carefully and shop sales and stock the freezer when I can. We are ok and that's part of the problem. I really don't have to go back to work but I loved my job. Being a outdoors kinda guy Riding around on the water looking out the window is a great way to earn a very good living.

It was good to be da Cappy!!

CJay and Cayuga Morning like this.
  12. CJay

CJay In Flower

Ive always been kind of frugal. Well kind of. Ive always made far more than I spent. But while I saved smartly I did also spend freely. That has had to change over the past few months. It wasnt so bad when I was in the hospital. Cant really spend money in a hospital bed, other than paying for the stay. But now that we're home. Oh yeah by the way. We're home now. Anyway. Im going to have to be more frugal from now on.

Chrisle and carolyn like this.
  13. Cayuga Morning

Beautiful pix Cappy. What body of water is that?

My comparable interest is in gardening/hiking/biking.....generally being outdoors.

CJay, how is it going? How is William?

14. cajuncappy

cajuncappy In Flower

its several different places in South Louisiana Peggy made that slide show a few years ago from my files of pictures

CJay likes this.
  15. CJay

CJay In Flower

Hes doing well. Fussy and his temp is hard to maintain. But hes doing well.

carolyn likes this.