Anyone else now own an E-reader?

Discussion in 'Books' started by SusieQ07, Feb 21, 2011.

1. SusieQ07

SusieQ07 In Flower

I luv my e-reader, know of no other way you can carry around hundreds of books so easily or can download and upload to reader for free.

2. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Love it! Love it! Love it! :p

Got one a Kindle for Christmas and my husband had to have one too after seeing me enjoying mine so much. Font size is adjustable and it saves your place if you fall asleep reading. :D

There are a lot of apps out there if you want to have access to all the free books available. You can put them on your computer, smart phone, ipod, etc.

With my Kindle I can order books from any where (this might be a bit of a problem :rolleyes: but I am certainly enjoying reading more than ever) and there are hundreds of free books (anything published before 1923). I am slowly making my way through some of the free books and enjoying my favorite authors more.

One of the coolest things I found were apps for my iPod that are Audabon field guides. I can now carry around six field guides that quickly cross reference, create life lists, take photos, and email etc.

I also have a couple of other apps on my iPod from other producers for a wider variety of free ebooks. I also synch my iPod to whatever I am reading on my Kindle so that I am always carrying my books around with me in a very small parcel.

Did I say that I :smt055 LOVE :smt055 ebooks?

3. SusieQ07

SusieQ07 In Flower

I did not get a Kindle, found our right quick, they do not accept E-Pub, and want you to pay for books, from amazon...uh, that wud be a big no, no for me...if it isn't free forget about it! lol
    P.S. Forgot to mention my E-reader was only $100, free shipping, and it's white not black (very kewl) has 6 font sz. settings, came with a case, 2GB/SD card, and preloaded with 200 books.. it is awesome!

4. roseclutch

roseclutch New Seed

i too love my kindle. could never ever give it up again.
    since i really had some hard time in studying and my student advisor in school gave me so many books to read recently. without my ebookreader i would not even get poor but also destroy my back.

Advertisement
  5. Jewell

Kindle does not accept E-Pub without an app to make it compatible (the app is for the computer and is free). Have to do it on your computer and then download on to the Kindle so it isn't as quick and easy as a straight download from the "magic waves in the sky". :D

A friend/co-worker got a Sony ereader and checks out books from the Seattle library. She loves it. Guess many libraries are starting to let you check-out ebooks.

6. margie12u

margie12u In Flower

E-books

I don't know where I been but I have never heard of an E- Book, What exactly does it do?
    Margie :oops:

7. margie12u

margie12u In Flower

E-books

I don't know where I been but I have never heard of an E- Book, What exactly does it do?

8. margie12u

margie12u In Flower

E-books

9. Jewell

Margie -

I will give you my 2 cents worth. You can do a search on google for ebook reader and you should get some much better comparison articles for all the different brands of ereaders out there. Barnes and Noble's Nook, Amazon's Kindle, and Apple's iPad are a few popular ones right now. There are quite a few others that are vary in price.

Ebooks or ereaders are just electronic way to have books (they are putting books out so that you can read them on your computer or any kind of smart phone, iPod, or MP3 player as well as ereaders). If you read a lot or purchase a lot of books it helps to limit the space your books take up. Between my iPod and Kindle I have over 300 books on the devices (250+ were free). Ereaders can hold literally thousands of books. Many public libraries loan books in the ebook format also.

Books published before 1923 (copyrights have expired) have been scanned and put on the web by the Guttenburg Library and are free. Many of these books are included with some apps for free in slightly cleaned up formats. I use the Kindle app and iFlow/Great Books app, but I have tried a number of others. Currently I am trying the Nook app because their ebooks are so cheap and I am curious.

A bunch of the apps (applications that run the readers) are free and have a bunch of free books. Most of these you can download onto your computer and give it a try (this is how I tried before I bought). Your computer can be your ereader. Reading on the computer is harder on your eyes because of flashing of the screens. Hand held ereaders don't seem to have that because of the technology used. The hand held ereaders have black and white screens for book reading, but some have color for getting magazine subscriptions like the Nook and iPad.

Hope I haven't bored or confused you. If you have a Barnes and Noble Book Store near by you can give the hand helds a try. I love my Kindle and the kids at school love the iPods I have in my classroom for listening and reading picture book apps I have purchased.

http://www.gardenstew.com/viewtopic.php?t=20890&highlight=Here is a previous post about my iPod and Kindle too.

Happy reading however you do it :stew1:

10. SusieQ07

SusieQ07 In Flower

I can do one better here's a pic. of mine:
    Mine came pre-loaded with 200 books, even the Bible over 2,000 pages, but with the 2Gig SD card, i have room to upload from my computer, up to a 1,000 or more.. it has 6 different font size settings, and the battery last 20hrs. or more before it needs recharging. It is so nice and light to hold and to read with, anywhere.

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from SusieQ07's Garden )

11. Jewell

SusieQ I can tell you love your ereader as much as I love mine. How do the buttons on the side work for yours?

12. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I have the Sony 650 and I reckon that I enjoy it as much as you guys enjoy yours. They are quite handy.
    I would be interested in those links to sites where you can download books free, Suzie-Q.

13. SusieQ07

SusieQ07 In Flower

14. Jewell

Get sites and info SusieQ! The PDF works easily on my ereader without having to change formats and the sites had lots more books that I haven't gotten to yet :)

15. SusieQ07

SusieQ07 In Flower

Was that great sites..jewel? and yw, I don't change formats, my reader uses all, kinds to, luv the bookmark feature, however mine saves my pg. without using it...luv all things techy here, gadgets and such..ain't life grand? lol