Anyone got a good compost heap design ?

Discussion in 'Organic Gardening' started by i love bugs, Jan 10, 2006.

1. i love bugs

i love bugs The Weatherman of Craggy Island

I have been experimenting with compost heaps for years, successfully I think! However I am trying to make a small unobtrusive design and am looking for new ideas . it has to be smell proof ,vermin proof. preferably easy to make . no accelarators,worms etc. As natural as possible. Anyone able to think outside the box? Big enough to take the waste from one suburban household. Thanks Bugs

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

We don't make our own any more I'm afraid Bugs as we get them really cheaply (via MIL) from the Edinburgh council. They look a bit like black daleks but certainly do their job and for only £5 each we're not complaining!!! :D

4. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

On our allotment we have 2 bins muddled together from huge pallets. Words a treat there, but isn't terribly attractive for a garden. Our old wooden bin in the garden has finally had it's day and is rotting away, so I am hoping my darling can become a carpenter for the day and build me one that resembles a giant beehive, where each overlapping section is removable so make turning the heap easier. I saw one recently in a magazine I think where the wooden box style bin was painted bright pink to resemble a pig! :D

5. i love bugs

i love bugs The Weatherman of Craggy Island

re compost bins

Hi Eileen we have the Daleks ( love your description) here as well. A black dalek, a green dalek and now our council in their wisdom are bringing out the brown dalek. I have no problem with waste , only 11 dalaks a year for a family of five 8) 8). I also compost the waste from 15 other gardens at home using wooden pallets (6 bins) , disturbing it regularly is the key to rapid decomposition. Moisture content is important ,as is the proper mix, ie.. good layers about 6 inches deep. leaves, then grass , then household (household is the biggest part of peoples bins) Then change with old compost. It works great. What I trying to do now is make something suitable for civilians (gardenstewers are not civilians :D ) and need really origonal ideas, no matter how mad.
    My brother took one of the black daleks , cut off the lid , cut a hole in the bottom, dug a hole in the ground 12 inches deep, put the dalek in upside down and used the old lid as a new lid .It works great. Ugly as sin though. I might make him a nice imatation bee hive to cover it .Thanks EJ Bugs