Anyone have luck with starting datura from seeds?

Discussion in 'Seed Starting / Propagation' started by travelingbooklover, May 11, 2008.

1. travelingbooklover

travelingbooklover In Flower

I really miss having daturas in my garden. Has anyone had any luck with starting them from seed? And if so, where did you find your seeds?

2. Loading...

3. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I start some from seed every year. I use peat pods and set them in a sunny window.
    They are slow to germinate, but once they do they grow quickly. I started with seeds from a friend and now I save seeds for the next season. I just bought seeds for a double yellow variety - I think they were from Thompson and Morgan.

4. travelingbooklover

travelingbooklover In Flower

Thanks Netty. I just ordered the white evening fragrance and a purple variety from Thompson and Morgan (and some other flower and veg seeds- their site is addicting!). Now I just have to patiently wait for the seed to arrive...

5. kaseylib

kaseylib Young Pine

They self sow in my yard every year.

Advertisement
  6. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

I collect seeds from mine every year.I have seeds for the double yellow ones and double purple but have the white
    that comes back from the roots each year and the double purple.I got my first whites from a cousin and bought the double purple plant as well as the yellow but it didn't come back.I will start mine back from seeds today.
    I like burgmanias too.

7. flowerpower313

flowerpower313 Seedling

I got seeds for a single purple in a trade. They were small and black. Plants were very pretty. Now I traded for single white and the seeds look much different. They are flat and light colored. Anyone know if these are for the perennial datura? I started seeds for both, but they haven't popped up yet.