Anyone know a good way to freeze Salsa?

Discussion in 'Food Preservation and Storage' started by margie12u, Aug 15, 2012.

1. margie12u

margie12u In Flower

Hi everyone, Can you all tell me if I can freeze salsa, I have so much, and I'm not much into canning this year. Thank you Margie

moderator's note: added a more descriptive title to topic

2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I don't see why not. The texture might be a little different, but freezing shouldn't affect it so much you wouldn't want to use it.
    Why not try freezing a cup and then thawing it the next day to see how you like it?

4. weeds n seeds

weeds n seeds Seedling

ONE WARNING with freezing salsa! Using hot peppers in it, you MUST go carefully as the volitile oils in the peppers get MORE pronounced in the process, believe me! What wasn't too bad at freezing time, CAN be "too much" when thawed out to use (a block of ice to sit on the next morning is REALLY needed for the flames!). Make SURE your jars are freezer-proof; a piece of Saran Wrap doesn't hurt if using plastic containers to store salsa in, push it thoroughly DOWN over the mixture and "set" it right on top (to get air out) before sealing..otherwise, you get a lot of ice buildup in the product and it's watery when defrosted. Just a couple of tips from "trail and error"...

5. mart

mart Strong Ash

I have frozen tomatoes, and soup base in everything imaginable as long as its plastic ect. Usually I save those small butter tubs for soups ect. I have had no problems, Do use a piece of saran over the top to prevent ice crystals.

6. Pricklypear

Pricklypear Seedling

I have never frozen salsa. I know that there are recipes for freezing salsa. I have frozen spaghetti sauce with peppers and onions and it holds up well for six months or more.

One recipe you can search for is called Annie's Salsa. I've seen this all over the internet. I can it. Most people can it, but it is intended to be frozen.