Apple Mac Virus

Discussion in 'Computer and Internet' started by louise, May 25, 2011.

1. louise

louise New Seed

Has anyone else heard about the first seemingly effective mac virus?

I've been a mac user all my life and have been waiting for this to happen since I knew it would one day :(

I'm a little bit worried now, been living in a happy mac bubble for too long!

Any other concerned mac users out there?

2. Loading...

3. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

In the early days, am I dating myself?......In the early days when the competition for computer users was on a more even footing. The virus world treated MAC and IBM compatibles (before windows) about equally. Viruses would appear on both platforms with regularity. As windows appeared and began to be the more popular OS, the world of viruses gravitated to the windows platform. Why write a virus for 9% of the computers when you can watch 89% of the users screaming VIRUS!!! It's not to say there are not viruses for the MAC but they tend to be the milder variety. Most Internet providers supply their subscribers with a virus utility, for the users protection and the safety of their own network. Being pro-active is the best plan of protection. A lot of viruses are imbedded in e-mail attachments which should be the users first flag of caution.....if you don't recognize it, trash it. As for your MAC...you should have some anti-virus protection with up to date definitions, as well as a hard drive back-up protocol. It is better to say " oh foo" than "OH @!#&%!!!!" As a final note, the virus protection also aids in preventing you from passing on a virus in your dealings with others. The adage "an ounce of prevention......"
    I could go on but I think you get the idea.

Jerry

Philip Nulty likes this.
  4. dawg803

dawg803 New Seed

I have heard rumors... but not really anything legit enough to make me worry about a virus. I should probably amp up my security though!