Are the nasturtiums and marigold seedlings ready to be plant

Discussion in 'Seed Starting / Propagation' started by Tina, May 11, 2014.

1. Tina

Tina Young Pine

These are still in my green house. Are they ready to go out in the garden? I plan on putting a few in containers. I know - I planted too many marigolds in the same small pot. Should I just separate them now or wait some more?

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Tina's Garden )

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Tina's Garden )

2. Loading...

3. Tina

Tina Young Pine

Can someone please help?

4. Green Fingers

Green Fingers Seedling

Tina the marigolds look little to young to me. I would wait at least a week.

5. Tina

Tina Young Pine

Ok, I will wait to plant the marigolds then. Thanks.

Advertisement
  6. GreggG

GreggG New Seed

have you tried plug trays

Tina:
    Have you tried plastic plug trays for starting your seedlings in, rather than "gang" plant them in a single pot ? The plug trays I use have 128 cells in each tray. The tray measures 11"x 22" overall. They are reusable for many years.
    The advantage to plug trays is that is is very easy to remove the seedling and soil as a unit without disturbing the roots. You transplant only the healthiest seedlings. Nothing is transplanted bare root. That means everything you transplant will grow.
    I use plug trays to start all my veggie and flowers. I start 250 seedlings every year. As you can see I only need 2 plug trays to start everything I need. I transplant the seedlings into larger plastic trays with cells that measure 1 1/2" x 2" to 3" x 3" depending on the plant. These are plastic also and last many years if you are careful when you remove the seedling to plant in you garden.
    It's takes very little soil to fill the plug cells so I use a good grade of seed starter mix that would normally cost too much to fill the flower pots like the one in your photo.
    The trays are available online. You will have to look for a website that will sell you only one or two trays.They are only a couple of bucks each. Look up "plug trays" and I am sure you will get a tons of sources for plug trays and other multi-celled trays.
    Gregg

7. Tina

Tina Young Pine

Thanks GreggG and welcome to the Stew!

8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I transplant my marigolds when they have developed the second set of leaves.