Are you a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd generation gardener?

Discussion in 'Gardening Other' started by dirt2diamonds, Nov 23, 2007.

1. dirt2diamonds

dirt2diamonds In Flower

Wow digital flower growing up on a nursery had to give you the gardening bug.
    Do you still lanscape? I bet your gardens at home are lovely. Do any of the first generation still garden

2. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

2nd generation sorta....that is to say, my grandparents were farmers, but my parents were as far removed from gardening as you could imagine.
    I have always liked it since I was very little--I can still remember walking down the rows of flowers that my grandmother had; I was just barely taller than her zinnias.

3. dirt2diamonds

dirt2diamonds In Flower

Sjoerd, any little ones to pass your green thumb on to?

4. digital flower

digital flower Seedling

Yes it pretty much as become a way of life. My wife and I have a small gardening business. For the last 20 years or so I have been working on this garden:
    When I planted those Weeping Willows they were about 6 feet tall.

[​IMG]

There are about 6 acres of the 13 acre parcel under cultivation. I have several other smaller gardens that we take care of also. A couple of those have their own people and I just sort of watch over them. Since I rent the house I am living in and spend 40 to 50 hours a week (sometimes more) gardening I don't do much at home. We have 2 to 3 helpers but still do a lot of the work ourselves. I take a lot of cast aways and am growing a few things I am going to sell but that is it. I often spend any free time I have during the season taking pictures at the various botanical gardens in my area.

Advertisement
  5. dirt2diamonds

dirt2diamonds In Flower

Now that's a garden. I could wrap the picture around me it is so lovely.

6. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

I completely agree with d2d!

7. bethie

bethie Young Pine

I totally got my love of gardening from my Grandma. We went to her house once a year on vacation. She was a huge gardener. She grew and sold fruit, vegetables, plants and cut flowers in coffee cans. As a result of this my Mother hated gardening with a passion. :( My Grandmother rarely left her small town. When she did visit us she was completely besotted with crepe myrtles and Blue hydrangea. She took both home with her. She made the best grape juice on earth! She made rhubarb pies! She was my gardening idol. I wanted to be able to grow everything just like her. :)

8. dirt2diamonds

dirt2diamonds In Flower

Love touches us all in the most unique and special ways. My neice loves my gardens and make special trips to my home to take a picture in it. I am hoping she will become a gardener. But I also hopes that she becomes a wife and mother one day soon.

9. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

That is a BEAUTIFUL garden digitalflower!

10. dirt2diamonds

dirt2diamonds In Flower

With the new gardening season starting soon for some, it is always nice to notice who has gotten bit b the gardening bug. I will have a great nephew (my first great anything) to take into the garden with me this spring/summer.

In April he will be 8 months old, not to young to catch the gardening bug. He will be watching the butterflies with me for the first time in life and picking blooms for the first time and I can't wait. Hopefully another generation of a gardener is in the works. Fingers crossed.