Are you a Cat person or dog person?

Discussion in 'Pets' started by Tooty2shoes, Jul 30, 2011.

1. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

You can read about them on Wikipedia. They make for nice pets.

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  2. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy In Flower

I'm a dog person for over 40 years. Murphy, our JR Terrier is 15. I'm thinking we may be dogless for the first time when his time comes.

Don't really care for cats, although they seem to like me. My sister's and DIL's cats are always all over me. I ignore them.

Feral cats are a danger to kept cats and local wildlife. They need to be eliminated whenever a colony of them is discovered. People who dump cats should be prosecuted for environmental destruction. Same goes for packs of feral dogs, although these are not nearly as numerous.

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  3. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

marlingardener I hope you find a pooch. One that is not only fuzzy but cuddly as well. :)

eileen: I think that more people are allergic to cats because of the type of dander their skin produces. Hope you would be able to at some point have another dog. I keep saying that when we are dogless we won't get another one. But I know I couldn't go to long without one. ;)

Netty; I hate mice in my house also. But I use traps to catch them. I to like to take my dog with me. They are great company.

Stratsmom: I have a friend that has Golden's and loves them. We have some friends who also feed the cats in their neighborhood and have 2 of their own.

supersweetmom: I once found a sweet cat who was declawed and spayed. At the time I had a little schnauzer mix who wasn't real fond of cats. But the cat liked her. The cat was so funny. She would slowly walk up to Lindy my little dog when she was laying in her dog bed. Flop on her side and push herself along with her claws on her back feet. She would get about 4 inches from the dog bed and lindy would jump out of her bed. Then the cat would get up and go and lay in it. The cat enjoyed being in control and I couldn't see my sweet little lindy being tortured like that. So I found her a good home.

cherylad: I have had a dog ever since I have been on my own. I love their company.

Droopy: you are right in saying that your cats own you. I had read a funny line that said that dogs have owners and cats have wait staff. Yup, your neighbors are wait staff providing fish.

marlingardener: I know. They are kind of like big Gerbil's. They are suppose to make nice pets.

fatbaldguy: I had my first dog for 14yrs. and really missed her after she was gone. So I have had dogs for about 30 some yrs. Yes, feral cats are a danger. Our neighbor shoots them. But I trap them and take them to our local humane society. Last summer I trapped a mother cat and found her 2week old kittens. I took them all their. I know the kittens where found homes but not the mom. She was just to wild.

4. calvinjane

calvinjane Seedling

I was neither a cat or a dog person - then I married my husband. In our 35 years of marriage we have had a least one cat most of the time. We currently have 5 that we officialy claim as ours and another that spends a lot of time in our garage - we can't get close enough to him to catch him. We lost my husbands workshop cat, Blackberry, on Friday - he was hit by a car in the night. Never thought I was attached to him until he is no longer with us. I am sure we will always have cats or cats shall own us.

Tooty2shoes likes this.

Advertisement
  5. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

:( So sad about your hubby's shop cat blackberry. That was a really great name he gave him.

6. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

I claim to be a dog person,..stray dogs tend to follow me home,..then set up home with me,..but cats seem to know they will be fed and looked after so at present i have two cats and eight kittens,..they come and go via the bathroom window,..never soil in the house,..but use it as a playground much to my annoyance at times,..i also claim that i don't like pets,..but will put up with them.

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  7. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Oh Philip you softy you. ;)

8. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Lol,..i pretend i am not a softy,..but dogs and cats,.. "know things", :stew1:

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  9. cuatro-gatos

cuatro-gatos In Flower

Obviously I'm a cat lover - but just tell that to
    my dog! We currently have 2 cats and 1 'fetchingingly' beautiful woofer.
    Between the 3 of them I learn something new everyday.

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  10. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Philip, that is for sure. They can read a person like a book. I once had and Australian Shepherd who would always growl at my girl friends boy friend. And never go near him just growl at him with that low throaty growl. He turned out to be not the nice guy he portrayed. They Know- :stew1:

cuatro-gato=that is so true also. They sure do teach us a lot. :stew1:

11. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Droopy, so THAT's what a degu is! I'm afraid this will be a degu-less household because Feliz would consider that a toy.
    Philip, I lack the perception that dogs and cats have, but I would have bet the farm on you being a "softie"!

12. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Dangrabbit,..i have lost my tough guy image,..lol.

marlingardener and Tooty2shoes like this.
  13. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

How about I am a cat person, but also love dogs. I was partly raised by a German Shepherd ;) I have had more cats, dogs, rabbits, chickens, ducks and a goose than I can count. I also have two horses at the moment.... I am down to 4 chickens, 3 cats, 3 dogs and 2 horses. I lost another cat recently to old age, and my injured chicken died recently.

[​IMG]
    Shadow, Sally and Sasha ( photo / image / picture from AAnightowl's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Darlin the Basenji ( photo / image / picture from AAnightowl's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Kittykat ( photo / image / picture from AAnightowl's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Ralphie ( photo / image / picture from AAnightowl's Garden )

Here are my current pets, the ones who are indoors part time anyhoo. :stew1: I refuse to let the horses or chickens come indoors.

14. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

I like dogs and will coo over the cuter ones I come across. But I prefer cats. Quiter, neater, dont have to take em out in all types of weather or if youre tired or whatever. Most of the cats Ive had were pretty well behaved, although my current boy likes to use teeth and claws when playing, no matter how much I scold him (I say ow and stop playing...doesnt work o_O)

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  15. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

AAnightowl: everybody looks happy to have their pic's taken except for KittyKat. I think he is thinking something that you wouldn't want repeated. :eek: Thanks for sharing your pets with us. Ya, I guess I wouldn't let the horses or chickens in either. ;)