Are you a Cat person or dog person?

Discussion in 'Pets' started by Tooty2shoes, Jul 30, 2011.

1. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

Kittykat was rescued from an abusive home back in 1997, and sometimes she feels grouchy. She really is a very nice kitty and has been my little buddy all these years. She is about 17 now.

Right now I cannot find Shadow, apparently he got out the door tonight. :( We have been looking high and low for him. He is my buddy too.

Update: we FINALLY found him napping behind the tv stand... I looked there twice because I thought I saw him go back there. Try seeing a black cat on a navy blue carpet at night, in a dark corner, even with my flashlight... I was outside most of the evening calling and calling and calling for him. My son took a few turns too. I was calling him indoors also. Usually he answers.

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  2. chocolate

chocolate In Flower

Hi, we are dog people, cats here are a big problem, there are lots of little native creatures in our gardens here which are being threatened by cats, responsible cat owners are hard to find.Lizards and frogs which are unique to Aus. are dissappearing....very sad, some snakes even are eaten by cats, so they are not our favorite animal and we have so many native birds which we love but they are threatened too.What we do have and love him to death is a little poodle called Chocolate, for obvious reason.In this photo he is waiting for a chug chug ride on the blue plastic which I put weeds on when gardening, he also just loves to ride in the wheelbarrow.

[​IMG]
    Please.... ( photo / image / picture from chocolate's Garden )

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  3. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

AAnightowl: glad you where able to give Kitty a good home. I bet that shadow when he heard you calling thought to himself. Now what I'm taking a cat nap. Glad you found him safe and sound. :stew1:

chocolate: your little poodle and my little Tootsie look a lot a like. Our little dog loves to go for rides on the golf car we have. She's not brave enough to let us push her in our wheelbarrow.
    It is sad that people are not more responsible for their animals. We are always on the look out for feral cats out here in the country also. If I remember correctly. Aren't wild pigs a big problem in Aus. also?
    A Back in 1986 I lived in a small town and ran their dog pound before the humane society came to town. I have seen a lot of neglect and abuse and often said that the owners of these animals should be the ones in cages. Thanks for sharing and have a good day. :stew1:

TheBip: Ouch! My sister In-law has Burmese cats and they are anything but quite. Like Siamese, they are very vocal and will make their presence known to one and all. He cat Buddie is really funny though. He loves attention and you can pick him up, hold him upside down, and put him in any position you want. He just loves all the attention and doesn't care. Glad yours are on the quieter side. :stew1:

4. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

I love both dogs and cats. I grew up with dogs. Can't imagine my home without one.
    Missy is 13 yrs. old, movin pretty slow these days. I have had 4 cats; 2 at present. They make life interesting. I could really do without all the hair they all leave behind, but we all coexsist pretty well.

[​IMG]
    Missy "good dog" ( photo / image / picture from Kay's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Dolly in a rare stationary moment ( photo / image / picture from Kay's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Chloe and Dolly ( photo / image / picture from Kay's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Chloe in the Crabapple ( photo / image / picture from Kay's Garden )

stratsmom and Tooty2shoes like this.

Advertisement
  5. Burwell

Burwell New Seed

If I lived on a farm I would probably keep a dog, so that it would have room to roam about without those time wasting daily walks...but I do not live on a farm so that is out of the question as down the lane were I live there are plenty of dog owners that pass by our gate and do not have the manners to pick up those parcels that dogs leave behind.!!
    About cats we had one for 18 years its coffin is buried in our garden...would not have another as I attract birds into the garden and birds and cats are not good bed mates.

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  6. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Kay: thank you for sharing the pic's of your hairy family members. I always say that pet owners are the only ones who have chairs who's leg bottoms grow hair. :-D Neat cat's and cute dog. 13 is getting up there. Do you give her Glucosamine supplements. I know I have it spelled wrong. It's for people joints but works great for animals joints as they get older. I too have always had a dog since I was out on my own. Our pets definitely have a special place in ones heart.

Burwell: welcome to the Stew. One of the reason's we don't have any barn cats is that we have way to many birds that we feed. Like you said, they are not good bed mates so to speak. Thanks for sharing. :stew1:

7. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

I live out on a farm and still cannot let my dogs roam free. There is a highway close by and they do not stay away from it. Also we have loads of coyotes in our area that prey on people's pets. We have other predators too like bobcats, an occasional mountain lion or two, bear, fox, occasional wolves, and others.

I feed the birds and have cats. Most of the time mine leave the birds alone. Squirrels are another predator of wild birds and no one thinks anything of feeding them too. A friend in Texas had gray squirrels attack and kill the parent birds and eat the eggs when they were done right in front of her. It is a shame that cats get all the blame for killing songbirds when so many other predators kill more than they do. Snakes kill songbirds too, I have seen them climb up into the trees and kill the birds and my cats were indoors! Unfortunately animals eat each other.

I love all the pictures of everyone's pets. :stew1:

Tooty2shoes and Karrma like this.
  8. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

AAnightowl: I am so glad that the only large predator we have to think about is a raccoon. We do have coyote's around here but not a lot of them so far. That is so true about other predators preying on other animals. Loose dogs can do a lot of harm to people, and other animals as well. Several goat breeders I knew had dogs come into their yards and kill several of their goats out in their pasture. So it is unfair to just pick on one animal.

9. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Tooty, thank you for starting this conversation. The pictures of cats and dogs are so heart-warming, as are the stories about their quirks, how they arrived, and the names--so imaginative!
    I've posted this photo of our girl Feliz before, but I just wanted to show her off. She is an indoor cat, very well-behaved and loving. I don't know what we did to deserve her showing up as a stray kitten, but I'm glad we did it, and VERY glad we did it only once!
    [​IMG]
    Drawer full of cat ( photo / image / picture from marlingardener's Garden )

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  10. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Marlingardener; Yes this is a fun topic. I to like to see all the photo's of peoples pets and hear the stories. Your kitty is very pretty. Calico's can be such neat color combo's. Interestingly they are always only female kitties. We have had both good kitties and not so good. Thank you for sharing. :stew1:

11. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

We have 2 cats 1 inside and other outside. and in bad weather in heated mud room. I didn't want another cat. Sent Jerry over to neighbor with new bag of litter and cat food. He came back with both + MaddieMae small fur ball. but those neighbor's moved away 2 years ago.left 2 cats outside. one was completly declawed. Jerry kept going and feeding them. one declawed came up missing thing coyote must have gotten her.He brought older cat .MaMA Kitty home. I do have to put some cat be gone in some of my flower beds. Even though has box in mud room. She still has her claws. And Maddie Mae doesn't. So she doesn't get in house.
    All ways have dogs right now 2 viszla and 5 month old golden lab. We raised Viszla for about 6 years.Would only let female have 2 litters.Ginger everyone and their brother wanted puppy from her. Our vet sure did he had two from oldest V. Ginger Daddy USA field trial champ But She was built to small. Haven't had any puppies for years. Got call from guy in Ohio wanted to know if we still raised them. He had bought one from us.Taz our oldest born in 96 getting to show her age. But still like to point a bird Sandy our new lab-into everything. Jerry had to clean up TP had grabbed it from bathroom. Run it every place. Sandy name of His first dog and he said this is his last.

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  12. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Koszta kid: welcome to the stew. Great site for learning and sharing. Viszla are so soft and have neat yellow eyes. Ya I know what you mean about the TP mess.
    For some reason dogs just love to play with it. I came home one day to find that my schnauzer mix had, had a confetti party with the TP all over the house. That happened my moons ago. But I can still see the mess.
    Funny how those animals want to use the flower beds or sand boxes as their kitty bathroom. :stew2:

13. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

yep-nothing worse digging with your and get hand full of cat p***
    When we had Viszla pups. People would come out pick theirs out first. ladies would paint a toe nail. Men would put collar on with name.But stick feather in shoe before coming. And see if pup would go to it. Said guy -must be shoe with F in it- :eek: And our very first litter had (bad) straight line wind come through. Lost 10 100 year old trees. Told People they can't be gun shy. Generator and chain saws running buy them for over a week

14. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

15. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

when we took this picture thought had bird in the tree. nope Ginger was Bull Snake Hunting