Are you happy with yourself?

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by jbest123, Jan 10, 2014.

1. jbest123

jbest123 In Flower

All gardeners that I know personally, I know that they are happy with themselves. Also the Stewbes seem happy by observing the comradery and friendliness in post and responses. I wonder why this is?

S-H likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

Terrific observation!!!

4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

John, I think we are happy with ourselves because we see things grow, realize not everything works out the way you think it will (don't ask me about the peanut plants the rabbits ate), and have a constant sense of amazement at nature in all her permutations.
    Having a website filled with interesting, funny, kind, and knowledgeable folks helps a lot, too. So, being a gardener helps make you happy, and being on the Stew adds to your enjoyment!

eileen, Donna S, S-H and 2 others like this.
  5. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I tend to be a cheerful sort, by & large. When I was in college, although my name was (& still is) 'Mary', friends who knew me sometimes called me 'Merry'. I can't say though that I don't have my moments of stress (who can?). But getting out in the garden is sure to lighten my load, brighten my day, lift my spirits, and refresh my zest for life!

My mother used to tell me that you never would see an unhappy child at the beach; my comment is you never will see an unhappy gardener in the garden. And yes, The Stew is a great place to share anecdotes, camaraderie and garden friendship!

marlingardener and S-H like this.

Advertisement
  6. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Well, speaking of myself and our GardenStew - I'll say that I'd only join internet forums, only to piss people off (as I really enjoy being an internet troll, my favorite passtime is actually baiting people)... So there really must be over a 100 places from where I have been banned! :D

But even a horribly opinionated, ultra obstinate, downright insensitive (bordering on the sadistic), as well as truly foul-mouthed person like me - Is able to get along with everyone over here. And that too in such a way that reading this will actually surprise many of you over here - As none of you people have ever seen that side of me.

Simply because this is the effect this place has on me! Of having a garden and a place where all gardeners can meet on the internet. It's really like this is the one and only place where everyone is speaking my language, (hence no need to fight with anyone). Which is why I am always feeling very happy over here! :D

eileen, Droopy and Kiasmum like this.
  7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

awww S-H, you make us all feel so special! I find the things that interest you and you share them with us are truly fascinating.... at least to me. Take the ship breaking for instance...WHERE would I have ever learned about what happens to old ships? not where I live. There isn't a body of water big enough for one of those ships (at least I don't think Lake Erie is big enough for one of them) within a 3 day drive on the interstate. I would have never been surfing the 'net just to see what was there to see about ships. AND I don't think you would digest your food very well if you weren't nice to all us Stewbies. That would just make you feel bad to make us feel bad.

8. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

I think being a gardener puts us head and shoulders above the rest of humanity (which I think is not worthy of any respect at all)... It's kind of like a division of class actually (to me anyway) - Between those who know how to grow something, and those that don't (yet they keep on consuming it without a care)...

So this is what fascinates as well as irks me at the same time. Fascinates because there is always something new to learn and/or discover whenever I am with like minded people. And infuriates me a lot when I see people not bothering to take the time to understand where all this produce came from, how long it took to grow, and so on... Giving me the urge to become an eco-terrorist for real!

I can now go into details and explain what Misanthropy (my state of mind) is, and so how we misanthropes interact with the world. But instead of that, why not watch these 2 films to understand me! :D

Silent Running (1972).
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtZYPfYANyw

Brazil (1985).
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Wh2b1eZFUM

9. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

I believe gardeners and lovers of nature get a lot of happiness from their connection to the earth. It seems as we lose that connection we move away from our natural state.

I can pick up a stone in a field and observe the various bugs that live underneath. That makes me infinitely happier that sitting down to watch an episode of a reality TV show.

S-H likes this.
  10. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Connection to the Earth, or connection to nature? I mean, I can only feel this good when I am either gardening, or doing something else which is not the least bit connected with the Earth, astronomy for example... :D

11. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    I love this site. Although I surf several gardening sites Stewbies converse about topics in a pleasantly social manner. Even when topics come up where people have differing opinions (rarely) it is always a sharing of those subjects. I enjoying stretching my views on different ideas to see other perspectives without feeling attacked. I can honestly say that their are few places out there where this is true.

Thanks Frank and all our great moderators for keeping this a happy place to visit.

eileen, marlingardener, S-H and 2 others like this.
  12. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I agree. And S-H, I loved that posting you did a while back about the recycling of a decommissioned ship. That was amazing.

13. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Philip Nulty likes this.
  14. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I say we're a happy lot because we love being outdoors and don't mind getting dirty. Ever seen a kid covered in dirt that didn't have a big ol' smile on their face?

15. jbest123

jbest123 In Flower

"I say we're a happy lot because we love being outdoors and don't mind getting dirty. Ever seen a kid covered in dirt that didn't have a big ol' smile on their face?"

Oldest son John Jr many years ago. He is also a gardener today. :D

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from jbest123's Garden )

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  16. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

Got a lot of good info here.Not best on CP-. I have learned most gardeners will help their fellow mankind.