Arhat (Monk) Fruit seed germination experience?

Discussion in 'Seed Starting / Propagation' started by vitrsna, Jun 27, 2015.

1. vitrsna

vitrsna Seedling

I am germinating these seeds (hoping to) for a friend who lives a couple of states away. My climate has more humidity at this time and i think i have a better chance of getting seedlings. He has tried before but didn't have much luck. Has anyone had experience with Arhat (Monk) Fruit (Momordica grosvenorii)?

KatSeals likes this.
  2. KatSeals

KatSeals New Seed

Hello,
    I was wondering if you had any luck with germinating your monk fruit seeds. I live in Texas and used to live in the north Texas area. Funny thing is, is that I used to have a HUGE monk fruit vine plant growing on my property. I didn't know what it was, it just showed up one early summer & thrived extremely well. I researched so long, every major university's botany department to see if this plant was native there. Of course I never found it, this was about 4-5 years ago. I just recently saw a picture of this fruit and was in awe, I couldn't believe I had finally found out what it was. Boy was I in for a shock when I found out what it was & where it originally was from. I still can't figure out how it ended up on our 20 acre property. Guessing a bird dropped off a seed. Our dog used to eat that fruit constantly. One day I decided, out of stupidity not knowing what it was, to try this fruit. It was very sweet, tasted great and I lived lol. That plant would come back every year, thrived without watering, it was just an awesome plant. Does spread though. Now though I wish I had known what precious cargo we had growing on our land, I would've saved some of the fruits for the seeds. Our property has long since been sold, so it's long gone sadly. Anyway, I wanted t share with you that it can survive Texas weather, at least north Texas.
    Have you been able to acquire any seeds? I want to grow it, knowingly, this time, but I can't seem to find any of the seeds. Do you know where I can get them from? Thank you dearly :)