artist looking for suggestions

Discussion in 'Interior Design' started by Alexandra, Mar 22, 2007.

1. Alexandra

Alexandra New Seed

Hi there,

I would like your professional opinion.

I am an artist an I am currently working on putting together really great interior design scenes. I am working on creating a whole bunch of computer generated models that designers can use for their projects instead of having to draw the interior from scratch. I am also looking to generate models and scenes that correspond to some of the current popular interior design styles and trends. I am pretty new at this - and although I know what I like visually, I am not really sure if that is something that others will like, and I also don't really know the names of any big designers.

I am looking for suggestions - who do you think are some of he greatest designers, what styles do you like? What styles are currently in? I will be posting images as I go along with my project, and I really would like your input.

This is one of the images that I've created - I really want a variety of styles.... Thank you in advance!

Alexandra.
    [​IMG]

2. Loading...

3. CritterPainter

CritterPainter Awed by Nature

Hi! I'm totally not into computer-generated art (too confusing for my pea brain, lol!) but I do know that I've seen alot of the current trends on the various decorating shows on TV. Maybe check out hgtv.com, or go to the BBC's website and do a search for Changing Rooms. Interesting project, good luck with that!

4. katsback

katsback In Flower

to be honest,theirs a show on hgtv that does a show using computer graphics to show what a home floor plan could look like, i hate that show,i want to see,it the right way,with out the computer fake look...

5. Alexandra

Alexandra New Seed

Hi katsback, and CritterPainter.

Thank you for your suggestions - I will definitely check out hgtv and the shows that you mentioned.

Do you do interior design at all? I am trying to figure out a way I can help designers visually with their projects, as an artist I can put together concepts before needing to build and rearrange, which could be costly. Thanks for your input, I'll upload a few more images as I am going along with the project.

Alexandra.

Advertisement
  6. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Alexandra,

I'm afraid I don't follow the interior design scene closely so I am not up with all of the styles out there but I wanted to chime into this thread anyhow. I just wanted to say that your work looks great and any interior designer would see how powerful the above 3D scene is i.e. being able to view from different angles and rearrange items virtually before transcending to the physical world.

I don't know how hard or time-consuming it would be to add textures to the scene but that would add lots of value also.

Keep up the good work, feel free to post more :)

// Frank

7. Alexandra

Alexandra New Seed

thanks Frank

Hi Frank,

Thanks for your response. I definitely do see huge value in interior designers and architects using 3d for their projects. It is easy for 3d artists to replicate furniture and move it around to client's needs.

I am working on some images with textures and proper lighting and material. I am getting a new software package - hopefully soon! - so that I can use a better renderer for my images.

Frank, you mentioned that you have played with Blender. Have you tried any other programs? There is a free program called gmax that is released by autodesk - if you're interested in 3d - it might be worth tinkering with.

Also, has anyone heard of Architectural Digest magazine? I saw some really cool interior design styles there. I am wondering how it is viewed in the community...?

Alexandra.

8. Frank

Re: thanks Frank

No I haven't tinkered about with any other 3D applications although I can remember trying to do some 3D graphics programming in DirectX but that was too hardcore for me :) Thanks for the suggestion Alexandra, should I get back into 3D I will keep it in mind.

BTW have you used Google Sketchup?

9. Alexandra

Alexandra New Seed

Hi there, some examples of furniture I am currently working on. Does anyone have ideas for great scenes? What other designers do you think I should be using to model these?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for all your input!

Alexandra.

10. Alexandra

Alexandra New Seed

Hi Frank, No I haven't used Google Sketch up, but I will definitely download it and take a look - thanks for the idea.

11. katsback

katsback In Flower

the designs look cold to me, need more warmth!

12. Melissa

Melissa Seedling

hi , love new ideas and hope you find what you need here .sooo if you are asking for input, heres mine ...........jack up the heat!very cold looking your pics that is ,looking forward to seeing other pics.

13. Frank

I think your designs look great Alexandra. I sure could use of those chairs you've designed, my back and butt aren't too happy with my current one. I imagine a lot of hard work went into them.

14. Alexandra

Alexandra New Seed

Hey everyone, thanks for your feedback.

I see your points - Melissa, and Katsback - I will create warmer scenes and put the designs all together. I am getting a new program soon! which I'm really excited about so I will render these with some warmth.

thanks!

15. Dianne

Dianne New Seed

3-D helpful for decorative tile

Hello Alexandra,

I think your work is awesome. We've had some 3-D renderings done of our decorative tile that have proved very beneficial. It can be hard to visualize a single tile within a floor or backsplash pattern and 3-D rendering can be a great resource for visualization.

I think this technology is great for many aspects of design... not just decorative tile. There are many examples of customers having difficulty visualizing change. e.g. a house that doesn't sell because of undesirable colour themes, etc.

If change options can be shown to the person desiring the change, it can be a tremendous help.
    Even though this technology is new to many industries, I think it is proving to be very helpful :)

16. alphaone

alphaone New Seed

I haven´t read all the replies u had so far ... all i can say is learn Sketchup. It´s easy. Make sure you see a couple of intro videos they have on the site.
    The final quality is not very good. Sketchup won´t render great photorealistic images, but the new version has some cool options for final look of images. you can make almost as it has all been done manually, etc. However if you are looking for a photorealistic final result, check out Maxwell Render. It has a plug-in for Sketchup. It requires a lot of processing, but results seen very good.

Good Luck.