Asiatic Lily - Survivor

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by tkhooper, Sep 10, 2014.

1. tkhooper

tkhooper Seedling

I bought a lily this fall from walmart that had tried to sprout in the bag. It was completely brown and I figured it was hopeless not having any experience with these types of lilies. Well I planted it indoors and am keeping the soil moist. And guess what I saw today...the very tip where it was all brown there is a hint of green. I hope it will keep up and produce a healthy plant. Wouldn't that be wonderful?

Jewell likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. Tina

Tina Young Pine

4. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

tkhooper....I have never tried growing them in the house. Good Luck with yours. I do grow them outdoors and they are beautiful. I did buy a couple hundred tulips from Walmart one year and planted them and they didn't come up...I am not sure if it was our cold winter or just bad bulbs. They looked fine at the time I planted them.

5. tkhooper

tkhooper Seedling

It shouldn't have been the cold. I'm sorry you lost out on such a large purchase. That hurts.

Advertisement
  6. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

tkhooper...it might of been mice, chipmunks, etc. eating my bulbs too. Every once in a while I still find a bulb almost chewed up completely on the top of the ground...before this area was built it was all open fields and in the fall we sometimes find voles that are trying to take up residence in our garage to stay warm for the winter.

7. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

Yes, the vole or moles can decimate a garden in one winter. With snow cover, you never see the damage until spring.
    Sherry, that was sad to lose all the bulbs but also the labor to plant them all.

8. tkhooper

tkhooper Seedling

When I moved to my place i lost but 30 crocuses to the little darlings. Now I plant in pots if the plant is on their menu.