Asparagus - How do I produce the thickest stalks?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by bob6831, May 19, 2007.

1. bob6831

bob6831 New Seed

Hi.
    I have an asparagus bed about 3' x 12' area. I have approx 25-50 plants in this area.
    Have mix of Purple plants and regular Jersey Knight?
    plants.
    Problem is that stalks are mostly very thin, with a few exceptions esp among the purple plants.
    I have not followed any regular fertilizing plan.... What kind of admendments and what is proper schedule for doing this. Any other advice...... other than to quit gardening altogether?
    Thx.
    Bob

2. Loading...

3. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

How long have the crowns been in the ground? They need to be a good 3 or 4 years old to really give decent thick stems. Also they like plenty of water. Mine suffer as I don't have water on the allotment so they have to make do with what mother nature provides. A lady on our allotment site gets the best asparagus of all and every spring long before growth starts she dumps a good thick layer of well rotted manure over her asparagus bed. She has been picking is for weeks, and I notice lots of fresh young stems poking through when I was up there today. Also, ensure you leave plenty to keep growing into ferns as these feed the crowns, only cutting them down in winter time. Hope my rambling helps.

4. Hank

Hank Seedling

Exactly my recommendation. But make sure it's well rotted, like three year old manure if possible. I harvest stalks as large as a quarter in diameter. You can also dump it on in the fall after you cut the plants back for the winter.

5. bob6831

bob6831 New Seed

Ok, will add fertilizer this fall and in early spring next year. But I don't have access to manure easily..... Is there something I can buy in K-Mart or Home Depot that will do the job?
    Also, is it true that you should stop picking each year on June 1st?
    Thx.
    Bob
    P.S. One area is about 10 years old, other areas are from 3-6 years old.

Advertisement
  6. bob6831

bob6831 New Seed

Hi.
    Has been awhile, is now mid Nov. in Dutchess County here, and I am thinking..... what should I do with my asparagus bed.......
    As per my last reply, I cannot easily get real manure, can I get something at Home Depot that will be just as good and is it ok to put on now? Can I put on too much fertilizer?
    Thx.
    Bob

7. Henry Johnson

Henry Johnson In Flower

Yes, Bob, if you use commercial chemical fertilizer, you can definitely put on too much.. Down here in Florida the Home Depot sells a product called 'BLACK KOW' in a yellow plastic bag of about 40#, it is composted cow manure and is quite good stuff.. Another thing that will help is mulch such as hay, grass clippings, any organic matter (except meats, meat items will attract varmints) that will decompose into the soil. The beneficial effects of the mulch will take some time to become apparent but if you keep the mulch there and add more annually, in a couple of years you'll no longer need any fertilizer..
    For what it's worth......... Hank

8. bob6831

bob6831 New Seed

Thanks Hank,
    I will look for that Black Kow at Home Depot, as long as its not too late in the season to put it on.
    I do have a horse farm near me, where I may be able to get some manure mixed with straw..... would this be good to put on?
    I do actually have a compost pile right next to the asparagus bed, and I have been putting some compost and leaves onto the asparagus in the fall.
    Bob

9. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

I prefer to mix horse dung with grass, leaves etc. and let it sit for a year before spreading it. Wonderful compost, and very nourishing. The roses are the only plants I give fresh horse dung.

10. TurningColorz

TurningColorz New Seed

I've never grown asparagus, but I love eating it! I'm wondering what is the advantage of having thick stalks? Is it to support a healthy plant? The best eating asparagus is thin, which always seems more tender and succulent than the thick "woody" stalks. What am I missing?

Asparagus lover,
    Mike

11. bob6831

bob6831 New Seed

Hi Mike.
    I guess I should not have said thick stalks. I certainly do not want 'woody' stalks. I want good healthy stalks, maybe finger size or bigger and plentiful!
    I did end up getting 5 bags of manure (mixed with compost) from Home Depot (did not have brand mentioned in other reply), and put that in the asparagus bed last week, then I put some leaves on top of it.
    Bob

12. TurningColorz

TurningColorz New Seed

Hi Bob,
    I get it, healthy plants...
    Best of luck next season, send some my way. hehehe!

Mike