Asparagus in a raised bed.

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by CJay, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

So then...they are all planted now?! Great.

2. CJay

CJay In Flower

Yeah. They're in. Correctly I think. Just need to build up the bed as they grow the rest of the season. I'll probably full in the holes with flowers tomorrow.

Sjoerd likes this.
  3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Well, I am certainly keeping my fingers crossed for you guys. what will you plant in the holes then? Flowering plants?

Do you feel that you got everything right? There is a lot of info out there to help you guys get your planting done correctly. The soil is so very important when it comes to growing things. Well, if you know your ground and get that right, in combination with knowing the nature of the plants that you are planting, then you can't go wrong.

You are enjoying this gardening, aren't you. Keep up the good work.

4. CJay

CJay In Flower

I've always enjoyed gardening. And have missed it terribly. So I might be going a little overboard now that we're out of that apartment.

I think he got everything right while I was out. And the soil in that part of the yard seems to be great for it.

I never really have it much thought to put flowers in the holes of the blocks that complimented them. I guess I didn't think it would matter.

Advertisement
  5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Well naturally it isn't essential to plant flowers in the holes but you could do, if you wanted to plant something that would help keep pests away or be say...colour co-ordinated with the veg, or simply for the beauty of it.

CJay likes this.
  6. Coppice

Coppice In Flower

CJay next spring you could take a sample spear or two, but thats about all the next following spears will need for stress before they start looking twisted and well, less atractive. 2019 is going to be your first full crop of spears. Plan on feeding compost and keeping on a thick bed of mulch (forever).

A mature crown is probably eight feet or more from root-tip to root-tip and will weight 100 pounds or more. The little corm you got was just a tiny shadow of what it will grow up to be.

fatbaldguy and CJay like this.
  7. Coppice

Coppice In Flower

If you do not want colonies of asparagus, please pick all berrys. You can use them for barter too.

All asparagus set seed from time to time. No matter how "supermale" they are claimed to be.

CJay likes this.