Back to top... box

Discussion in 'Suggestions / Comments / Help' started by carolyn, Sep 29, 2017.

1. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

[​IMG]

We have detected you are using Google Chrome and might be unable to use the Java plugin from this browser. Starting with Version 42 (released April 2015), Chrome has disabled the standard way in which browsers support plugins. More info

Chrome no longer supports NPAPI (technology required for Java applets)

The Java plug-in for web browsers relies on the cross platform plugin architecture NPAPI, which has been supported by all major web browsers for over a decade. Google's Chrome version 45 (scheduled for release in September 2015) drops support for NPAPI, impacting plugins for Silverlight, Java, Facebook Video and other similar NPAPI based plugins.

Java applications are offered through web browsers as either a web start application (which do not interact with the browser once they are launched) or as a Java applet (which might interact with the browser). This change does not affect Web Start applications, it only impacts applets.

If you have problems accessing Java applications using Chrome, Oracle recommends using Internet Explorer (Windows) or Safari (Mac OS X) instead.

Developers and System administrators looking for alternative ways to support users of Chrome should see this blog regarding Launching Web Start applications.

this is the message that just popped up when I tried to download java acript

Philip Nulty likes this.
  2. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Carolyn nice going to find the problem.

Carolyn,..if the button works using Firefox,..i would stick with that,..hard to beat Firefox :) and they don't spy on you ;)

I uninstalled Chrome as they couldn't install 'Stylish Background For YouTube'.

Sjoerd likes this.
  3. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

JavaScript and Java are two entirely different technologies. It's an unfortunate naming confusion that has existed since the mid-nineties. I can guarantee 100% that's it not a Java issue.

Sjoerd and Philip Nulty like this.
  4. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Hi all,

My 'Back to top' bottom stopped working too, for several days. This was on my Android cell phone. It works now though, on both my cell and my laptop (Chrome). Thought I would add my 2 cents to aid in the confusion. Ever helpful.

Advertisement
  5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I haven't changed a thing and this afternoon the back to top button works again. yay!

Frank likes this.
  6. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Very mysterious. We have a computer goblin.

carolyn likes this.