Back yard idea...

Discussion in 'Garden Design' started by sunflower, Jul 8, 2007.

1. sunflower

sunflower Seedling

I need some ideas for a fountian thats an antique,,

i will try and get pics,,,
    its concrete and about 40 yrs old..
    its a little girl/boy holding a water vase in which water pours out in the basin..
    its very pretty.. we are going to repaint it carefully ,,we have removed the old layers of paint ,,,its pretty good size as well..
    im just trying to find a place to put it,,would the center of the yard be a good place?
    it would need a new pump and somehow a corn would have to be hidden i think so it wouldn't get run over by the lawn mower etc..
    in my yard ..in which i do a little a year,, i have one area that has a small bird bath and feeding area..in the back a pond to the right,,,
    on the left my mother in laws' wishing well..
    the woman that had this before had it in the middle of her yard,, with stones and flowers,,,so i have been thinking this one over,,,

2. Loading...

3. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

I think it depends on the overall existing layout of your yard Sunflower. What I would do is take a blank piece of paper and sketch out a plan of the yard as it is now. Then take a coin or something of similar circular object that will represent the fountain. Move it to different areas around the sketch and at each stop imagine if the fountain was located right there. Take into account how visible it would be from that location and how much it may detract attention from other features in your yard. Ideally it would be in a location that would make it easy to walk around the fountain to view it from all angles.

Hope this help ;)

4. sunflower

sunflower Seedling

I appreciate the reply,,that sounda like a good idea i will try that out!
    thanks a lot!
    ill be in touch...
    any ideas pests in garden?
    the squriells too like to eat the bird seed ,,,i kee trying to keep them away as well...

5. CritterPainter

CritterPainter Awed by Nature

I've always wanted to take a fountain like that, paint it copper with darker copper/brown rubbed over to bring out the detail, and touch over places with a grey-green to look like the copper is oxidixing. We have some old buildings with oxidizing copper roofs & they are beautiful.

Advertisement
  6. sunflower

sunflower Seedling

Hi..
    hmm that sounds good too,,we did allready by a light teal/green paint.
    shes not in good shape but the paint is to help with selaing any cracks as well..i hope that color will be ok,, right now shes got 3 colors of light green turquiose and pale light green for the base...the basin has none at all..i will try and get some pics on here thank you very much ,,,,

7. melaniehandygirl

melaniehandygirl New Seed

The center of the yard seems like a good place if you want it to be the focal point. It sounds like a really fun project for you and I hope it goes well. Post pictures if you get a chance!

8. sunflower

sunflower Seedling

Thank You

Thank you .. i did decide to put in the middle of my yard,, i will get pics soon,,so sad the summer is coming to a close,,time to figure out ,, my plan for the fall,,,,

Take Care