Backyard Ornaments

Discussion in 'Garden Design' started by Raddang, Jul 18, 2016.

1. Raddang

Raddang In Flower

I have already mentioned that my backyard cannot be called a garden, too small and just a patio with some pots. However, to add some interest, I like to intersperse with the pots some garden ornaments Here are pictures of my current selection and I wonder if others add some ornaments or even sculptures in their gardens? 20160717 Around the patio-002.JPG 20160717 Around the patio-003.JPG 20160717 Around the patio-004.JPG 20160717 Around the patio-005.JPG 20160717 Around the patio-006.JPG

20160717 Around the patio-001.JPG
    Or is this all a bit Naff? ;)

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. jonmark
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Tina
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

@ Raddang - I actually quite like all your ornaments particularly the hand pump, Asian Buddha and the clay head. Is he an Easter Island guy?

Your ferns in pots are looking really good too.

Directly out my back door there is a deck and I've got it 'sort of' Asian theme'd. I really tend to love concrete/cement and will grab for a concrete ornament before any other. I quite like the idea of tucking in special 'things' that can attract attention and add interest to the yard. The solar lights serve dual duty of making the back porch look nice at night and giving ME extra light when I'm sitting out the back.

DSC_0009.JPG

I then move over to the purple bobbing birds but they're fast fading in our tepid sunlight

DSC_0010.JPG

The storks out front work at the end of the front patio (at least they stop anybody from stepping off the end! ;)

DSC_0002.JPG

The long old Buddha sitting on a bottom deck

DSC_0021.JPG

More concrete birds!! ;) ;)

DSC_0007.JPG

And one of my elephants (not sure if this guy is Indian or Asian but he is parked by the front door)

DSC_0005.JPG

And a concrete pagoda amongst the rhodos and hydrangea :) DSC_0020.JPG

And then the wind chimes are everywhere!

DSC_0013.JPG

4. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I love all your ornaments.Everything looks so neat. Thanks for sharing.

5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Someday maybe I will have time to tend to an ornamental yard. Right now it is a very busy productive farmers market garden... on almost every side. the back yard has chickens, raspberries, a garlic bed a potato patch and off to the side more potatoes, greenbeans, blueberries and then to the front... oyvey. greenhouses, hightunnels, apples, grapes, cukes, zukes, cabbage, beets, swisschard, peppers, tomatoes, melons, and strawberries.... no place for ornamentals at all yet... maybe someday.

Advertisement
  6. Raddang

Raddang In Flower

A townhouse backyard so just about enough room for a few loungers. My backyard in yours Islandlife would look like a tennis court on a soccer pitch :) My little concrete Buddha was looking good earlier this year with moss growing all over it. My wife hated it and insisted I pressure wash it....sacrilege...:mad:

7. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

@carolyn - I add stuff to the backyard cause I tend to collect "stuff" and I want to add interest however with all what is going on in your yard I think you've got TONS of natural interest! The chickens alone would be endlessly fascinating to watch :) :) :)

@Raddang - AGHHH!!! You power washed a moss covered Buddha? Nooooooooooooo!!! ( ;) ;) ;) )

8. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Carolyn, You are maxed up. When will you ever retire???

9. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

We were just discussing this last week... umm, I am not planning on doing this til the day I die... I hope. Maybe 10 more years? I will be 57 then kevin will be 61... too old to be doing this much, thats for sure. We are putting away for retirement and having fun at the same time although somedays aren't just too much fun, most of them are just work. I just came back from across the road trimming along the electric fence around the corn... maybe 1/4 of an acre? it is a lot to keep up with the weeds are awful this year.. we just have too many irons in the fire... literally. mostly we are rebuilt from the fire. Drywall guy was here today taping the ceiling. then paint and then the rest of the electrical stuff and the waste oil furnace needs installed. sigh. tired. I need a shower and off to bed.

10. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

Raddang and Islandlife, not only are your yard ornaments great, so are your yards! I would love to take a walk around and see them in person. Most of my lawn ornaments are Gnomes or animals, nothing special except I like them. I do have a couple of cast iron oriental lanterns and an iron horse head fence. I stay away from cement as I have to put it away in the harsh winters we have and that stuff is heavy!

Philip Nulty and Raddang like this.
  11. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

@2ofus - I've been collecting yard stuff since the day of the dinosaur. It has taken me a long time to find and acquire all the stuff I have.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  12. Raddang

Raddang In Flower

20160717 Around the patio-006.JPG My grandkids are all around 20 and over except one who is now 7 years old. For his amusement and intrigue I did make the pump work last year by fitting a concealed pipe to the intake and placing a bucket of water below the spout so that the pump cycled the water from the bucket.
    Amused him for a while ;)

waretrop and Philip Nulty like this.
  13. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi. All very interesting and a nice cosy sitting out area. I wondered about your site name Raddang and am I correct in thinking some of your ornaments give the clue - was you there?.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  14. Raddang

Raddang In Flower

Sydney, my username is just a bit of a joke. I tend not to use my real name on forums. On another forum I am known as Grandad so I just anagramed that word to Raddang. It means nothing at all as far as I know.:)

waretrop and Philip Nulty like this.
  15. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi Raddang. All is explained - I was just curious about it - with the "eastern" ornaments in your yard and you having been in the RAF - wondered if it might have been an RAF posting for you or a remembered holiday - believe there is a Raddang Malaysia way.
    Edit. Did a Google -The Malaysia place is spelt Radang.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
    Philip Nulty likes this.
  16. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I really like your ornaments, very tasteful. I wish I could make mine look more organized :rolleyes:

Philip Nulty likes this.