Bacon Cure ...... compost!?!

Discussion in 'Organic Gardening' started by KK Ng, Apr 26, 2011.

1. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Since our supply of bacon was getting low and the kids will be back for their semester break next month, I made a new batch of bacons. While putting the cure on the raw meat, I thought to myself that throwing away the cure after the bacon is cured is such a waste.

I have many a times wanted to dump the liquid from the curing process of the bacon into the compost but I had to stop myself from doing so. I understand that salt is bad for plants and I have no memory of where I learn this from. So the salt content in the cure is what stop me from dumping it into the compost.

So I just want to know whether it is OK to dump the solution into the compost heap and is plant affected by salted compost?

2. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

is this solution a brine of salt? or mostly sugar? sugar is good. a little salt wont hurt, but I would hesitate to add it to the compost if it's main ingredient is salt.

Tell us how you make bacon, too. I've never seen or done this. maybe take pictures and give us a tutorial. thanks, carolyn

3. Coppice

Coppice In Flower

IMO there is enough salt in dry cure or brine to be problematic as a compost addition.

If I lived in fairly soggy new england it might not hurt. If I lived where already existing salts in soil are a problem I don't think I'd want to add to the problem.

All that said. An unwanted stump used as a salt-lick for wild life, might appeal to some.

4. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Hi Carolyn, Coppice, thanks for the info. I guess it is down the drain it'll go even though I hate doing that. I live right at the edge of a town so a salt lick for wild life is also out of the question.

Carolyn, I only started making bacon about early last year and it is really easy. I use the dry cure method and I'll post my recipe in the Recipes and Cooking section. Hope you will try it out.

Advertisement
  5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Great kk, I'm looking forward to seeing the recipe. So have you actually eaten any of your cured bacon yet? or is this the first batch, just now ready to cure? obviously I am clueless on this.

6. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Carolyn, we had eatened only homemade bacon eversince I started making them. I always make sure that there is always ready stock of bacon in the freezer because I really like them!!