Basil leaves starting to curl, ends of leaves going brown

Discussion in 'Herb Gardening' started by CariAnn88, Mar 11, 2014.

1. CariAnn88

CariAnn88 Seedling

Can someone please help me. I bought a basil plant from the supper market last week and it was fine indoors, so I thought I'd plant it in my green house and it's leaves started to curl and ends of the leaves are going brown. So I have brought it back in to see if I can survive the plant.

Does anyone have any idea's to why it's done that?

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from CariAnn88's Garden )

Moderator's note: added a more descriptive title to topic

2. Loading...

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

What were the temperatures you were experiencing? basil doesn't like it cold or cold and damp. That is even worse. The leaves look like mine does when it is growing outside, with the leaves cupping downwards, but if they are drying and dropping off that isn't normal, but may just be transplant shock. Much more sun than it is used to inside can cause it to get sunburned and drop its leaves. If it is warm there put it back out and put some shade over it to acclimate it to your greenhouse is my suggestion and do pinch the plant back to keep it full and bushy. Especially if the leaves drop and leave naked stems behind. :oops: .

4. CariAnn88

CariAnn88 Seedling

I think it might of been to cold for it outside in the greenhouse. So I have brought it back in and put it in the window.
    When it was in the greenhouse it was in shade. Shall put it back outside with the weather being nice and warm and put it back in the shade where it was in the greenhouse.
    I've never grown basil before.

5. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

How many plants do you have in that pot? If you have more than 1 plant you should separate them, I think the pot is a bit small. If you bought it from the super market, you have to determine whether it is planted from seed or cutting. Normally from cutting the growing media retain water more so that the plants will stay fresh and if it had rooted you should reduce the watering ... I maybe wrong.

I normally buy the basil cutting meant for eating and use a sprig or two to start my plant.

Method 1
    When you buy basil for consumption, look for those that are about 5~6 inches long.
    Remove the leaves from the bottom leaving only the top 2 inches of leaves intact.
    Soak the sprigs in water to a depth of about 2~3 inches changing it every other day and you can see roots growing after the 6 or 7 day.
    Leave the cuttings in the water where it can get some sun.
    Once you are comfortable with the amount of roots, transplant it into a pot or wherever you want it.

Method 2
    This is slightly more difficult.
    Get a sprig of basil and make sure it has at least 3 nodes from the tip.
    Remove all the leaves except for the top 3 or 4 leaves including the tiny ones from the bud.
    Dip the end that is going into the ground with honey or growth hormones. I prefer honey because it is natural and I get better success rate.
    Do not poke the sprig into the ground, bury it. The action of poking will remove the honey or growth hormones.
    Make sure at least 2 of the nodes are underground.
    Normal potting soil or a mix of 6:4 compost:garden soil will do.
    Nurse it with TLC in a shaded warm area until it starts to grow.

Oops :oops: sorry, I think I'm out of topic.
    Anyway, enjoy!

6. mart

mart Strong Ash

It is very easy to start from seed. Pick up a pkg at your dollar store. Likely this is just from temperature change.