Bathroom, anyone?

Discussion in 'Interior Design' started by Ronni, Feb 8, 2014.

1. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Ah, I see. I wasn't sure if it was a bathroom you used and wanted to change it, but I understand this. I wish I could help you out with some ideas, but just have my own horror story of one bathroom with 9 people and no bathroom sink in there...only the bathtub faucet one hot spigot one cold spigot.. take your pick, but not warm! unless someone else used up all the hot water... needless to say we were as healthy as horses and were not germaphobes. WHO washed their hands after using the bathroom as a child there? I am pretty sure no one did. I looked at your bathroom and thought it was fine (compared to what I grew up with).

2. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I grew up in an old Victorian house, three stories tall. We had to evict the squirrels from the attic, bats from the chimneys, and a SNAKE from the bathroom! (It was a big one).

3. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Well.

In light of your stories, I don't guess I have much to complain about, huh? ;)

Cheryl, your bathroom is something else! For some reason, it reminds me of Ozzie and Harriet, or Father Knows Best, or something. I guess because its style is maybe from the 50's? Whatever, I think it was actually brilliant to section off the different areas that way to accommodate a bunch of people using just the one bathroom. I have to assume no one was claustrophobic in your family, else closing the door when you had to pee would have brought on a panic attack! :smt119

KKng, you've done an amazing job with your bathroom. I seriously can't imagine how one would design a house or an addition (if that's what it was) to begin with so that a sewer pipe would be exposed! That your bathroom design not only hid the pipe but gave you some additional shelf space was brilliant!

When I was growing up, back in the stone age ;) I remember when I was very little, my Mum heating water on the stove and pouring it into a big galvanized tub that she sat on the kitchen table, so she could bathe me. The toilet was out the back door, down a few steps, along a winding garden path, to the outside toilet. It wasn't an outhouse, it actually had a flushing toilet…but the kind where the sistern was up way high, and you had to pull the chain to release the water, and gravity did the rest. The "toilet paper" was a hook on the wall, on which were skewered pieces of newspaper.

When I think back to that, I have even LESS reason to complain. ;)

4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

KK, that newly refurbished bathroom is a thing of joy! Now you can tackle the other two, knowing that you have this bathroom remodeling down to a science. Ronni, did you notice that nice shelf area in back of KK's commode? A great and useful touch. We may do that in our second bathroom, which is more horrible than the first.

Advertisement
  5. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Yes I did! I even commented on it in my post! And are we going to get pictures of that second bathroom, just by the way? ;)

Actually, I don't think we even have pictures of the first one, do we? Or am I having a senior moment?

6. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Ronni, no pictures of the current baths. One is under renovation and so far is just bare walls and plumbing sticking up from the floor. The second one, well, let's just say if I posted a photo Frank might ban me!

7. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Thank you all :)

Thinking back the humble bathroom had really come a long way from out house toilets, no sink or shower bathroom to a integrated bathroom not only in house but attached to the bedrooms.

8. ellaloo

ellaloo Seedling

i like your cup in the bathroom, it's beautiful! as your bathroom is small, then pale colour should be the best choice. it can make your bathroom look larger.

9. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

KK--Can you tell me how big your bathroom is? We are trying to rehab ours & are having trouble visualizing it.

10. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Love seeing other small bathrooms. Your bathrooms are huge if you could get photos of them. I had to use a 360 app to try and get a photo of mine and couldn't get it to line up. The photos are blurry but you get the idea.

Ronni, I bet you might be surprise at the cost of replacing such a small piece of counter top. I like your flooring and wish I hadn't gone with the darker tile when we replaced the flooring. I like your cabinet so keeping it and finding a nice top seems like a good idea. The Corian or stone top in a light color would look nice.

When we replaced the flooring we put down a darker tile. Wish we had gone with the classic black and white now. The brown never looks clean even when it is. We have lighter colored tile in the kitchen and hallway. I always felt like I had to be cleaning it, but at least when it was clean it looks clean. Oh well.

The only good thing about our small bathroom is that it has a window. Limit one person at a time though or you could get caught in.

Even our small bathrooms are better than what was to be had a generation or so ago. Isn't modern living good.

Especially yours KK, I love your bathroom. Very spa like. The fixtures are all a perfect match. Great job on the remodel.

[​IMG]
    looking out ( photo / image / picture from Jewell's Garden )

[​IMG]
    looking in ( photo / image / picture from Jewell's Garden )

l.

11. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Cayuga Morning my bathroom is about 8X6ft.

Thanks Jewell.