Beauty Berry Bush

Discussion in 'Plant and Seed Exchange' started by catspower, Sep 21, 2008.

1. catspower

catspower Seedling

WOW I found 6 Beauty Berry bushes in the woods behind my pond. Dug up a few and will go back to get the rest tomorrow. They are beautiful!

2. Loading...

3. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

I had to search and have a look. They really are beautiful! Congratulations on your great find, cats. :D

4. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

We have them grow wild all over here in Texas.We call them Spanish Mulberry.
    I'm not sure why but to dig them all would take a life time of digging :)

5. Biita

Biita Arctic-ally Challenged Forager

Do you mean the American Beauty. They are beautiful and the name fits them perfectly. But remember, be kind to nature and only take what you need, and leave the rest for others to enjoy.

Advertisement
  6. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I love the colour of the berries on these bushes. Never seen a purple berry quite like it before. I would leave some in the wild too if I were you so that others can appreciate their beauty.

7. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Great find!

8. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

I have them growing wild here too.

Be careful CP, in some states it is illegal to dig the native flora and fauna and a hefty fine applies if caught.

9. catspower

catspower Seedling

Good grief! I didn't know the plant police were going to jump all over me. They were in the woods behind my pond on my property. There are still some back there. I just relocated a few closer to the house, so we could see them. Unless you are flying in a plane 20' off the ground, you would never see them.
    And if its illegal to dig the native flora and fauna on my 2 acres in Arkansas, then I have a hell of a lot of weeds I have pulled and 2 dead trees I cut down in the last 5 years, I guess I will have to pay the fine. Part of my property runs under some high wires. About every 3 years the county uses a bulldozer to clear it. I guess they will have to pay up, too. I don't allow hunters on my property, so God and I are the only ones who see them, and I don't think He minds at all if I move some closer to the house(where other people can actually see them).

10. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

So sorry catspower I didn't realise that the beauty bushes were actually on your own property. :oops: I presumed that you had found them growing in the wild somewhere - which is a different matter entirely - obviously. My sincere apologies and go ahead and re-locate as many of them as you like. They are certainly very striking plants and I know I love having them in my garden. :-D

11. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

catspower, my first thought was about illegal wildcrafting too because I didn't know it was on your own propery, but since it is there would be no problem.

But you might want to find out what plants your state has on it's endangered native plant list and what the laws are on moving them even if they are on your own property.

12. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

catspower I have them all over here on my property and I have tried to move one about a year ago and mine died.Good Luck in your transplanting

13. Biita

Biita Arctic-ally Challenged Forager

I'm sorry CP, i thought they was out in the wild also.

14. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

Sorry, I din't know either, wasn't trying to play plant police. I just know of some people who got in trouble for doing this and thought you might like to know.

15. kkluv155

kkluv155 Seedling

Is this what it is? I have this on an old dirt pile in my yard. Is it a weed?

[​IMG]

I guess I should move it so when my hubby flattens the dirt soon it won't get smashed.

16. catspower

catspower Seedling

kkluv155... Oh, be very carefull. Before you move it, you might want to check your 'state laws' about digging up and moving any 'flora and fauna'. And you should find out if they are on your states 'endangered native plant list and what the laws are on moving them even if they are on your own property'.
    Yes, its a weed. A very beautiful weed.
    I also dug up several bunches of Cardinal Flowers growing next to the creek that runs thru "my property". I sowed a bunch of wild flower seeds last year all along the creek. The new nieghbors mow right up to the creek even though its 15' from thier property line. I have asked them several times to please not mow along the creek, but they do it every time.
    So, if I want to relocate plants on my land from one place to another, I will, and not give a crap about digging up "native flora and fauna".
    I also feed the hummingbirds a gallon of humming bird necter every day, and I have 3 very large bird feeders I fill with sunflower seeds. I wonder if there is a state regulation about that. I also put out corn and apples for the deer. Have gotten some great photos of them. They love my pond. Have wild turkeys here too that I feed. Now, I wonder if all thats illegal, too. You know, messing with Mother Nature.