Beech Tree with aphids

Discussion in 'Trees, Shrubs and Roses' started by seawitch, Jun 16, 2015.

1. seawitch

seawitch New Seed

I'd like to get some advice. I have a young species Beech tree, Fagus sylvatica. I planted it about 4 years ago. It's doing very well, and is about 8 feet tall.

Every year around this time, it starts to get some aphids. I have a lot of potted annuals, perennials, and other young trees, and this is the only one that gets aphids. Until now, I sprayed it with....Safer's End All, and after 1 or two treatments, they're gone. I'd say about 5-10% of it has aphids. Except now it's getting big, so I have to get on a ladder to spray it.

Is this necessary or can I leave it alone this year?

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Beech Blight Aphids are very common during the summer months, you can blast them off with a strong spray of water. A homemade insecticidal soap spray, mix 1 to 3 tablespoons of pure liquid soap per gallon of water will take them down and you can use spray with Horticultural oils that repel and smother insects and their eggs in the Spring to help prevent them.
    The typically do not affect the overall health of the tree but can kill off small branches.

Frank likes this.
  4. seawitch

seawitch New Seed

Thanks Toni. Today while I was watering baby trees, I put the hose on a hard stream and was delighted at how many I was able to just blow off.