Best practices for seed trading, input required

Discussion in 'Plant and Seed Exchange' started by Frank, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Unlocking topic

2. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Moved to this topic for thepondlady......

It would be advisable to go to some other trade forums and read there guidelines and then put together your own, using Info gathered as a guideline for your own.
    No matter what restrictions one puts on people there are always going to be Vultures praying on those that are so willing to share. I have traded for a few years now on different forums and have found most to be good people. The best thing I have seen is a rates and review! Where all traders go and post there trade experience with each trader. This sets a guideline a to whom is or is a good or not so good trader.

3. Coppice

Coppice In Flower

My problem with seed trades is my own. I have no space to bench pending trades.

Not just limited space, NO space. As a result I send off seeds to folks I will generalize as seed fairies. Like Trudi Davidoff of wintersown.org

I haven't really needed to seek much in the way of new seeds to try. My own stash and a few from the five-for-a-buck rack, plus what ever old I wanna try and save seed from, I get from Sandhill Preservation center.

There is just about no commercial source for new woody plants I might like to try as bonsai. So those few as I find them I end up bartering or buying in private exchanges.

I suspect the race to be the guy who "dies with the most toys, wins". Isn't what brings me to the garden each morning.

4. muddypaws

muddypaws Seedling

PLEASE PLEASE don't punish good newbies for the bad ones. I think a newbies send their trade first policy is great. I have lots of extra seeds from my garden that I am putting in my seed envies that I want to start trading and would have to find another site to join if I have to wait several months. I think that could really discourage new people.

Anyway, hope to make new friends and do some great trades over the winter.

Advertisement
  5. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Muddy... I've done a few trades here and there's only one thing I would "warn" about. I've not only gotten what I traded for, but have almost always gotten extra stuff! So the "warning" is... be prepared to make room for a few extra plants. :-D

6. muddypaws

muddypaws Seedling

Cheryl - I LOVE generous traders! I am one myself. Hope to trade with you later when I'm ready

7. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Muddypaws, I hope you have a great trading season with fellow Stewies. I have some seeds to give outright, or swap, and I'll post them as soon as I get organized. Well, organized kinda. :oops:
    I'd love for you to have some if there is any that you want.

8. thepondlady

thepondlady In Flower

Would it be possible to set up a rates and review page?
    So we trades can post both good and bad trades. Just a thought! I was taken for a lot by a trader here and I think others need to be warned of these traders as well as giving great reviews for the good traders.

stratsmom likes this.
  9. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator