Birds are back!

Discussion in 'Wildlife in the Garden' started by marlingardener, Jan 6, 2022.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

We were worried because the usual winter birds had not appeared. We looked at migratory patterns, which had changed; the reports from others in Texas; and couldn't figure out why we didn't have our birds.
    Well, they are back! Today we had redwing blackbirds, white crowned sparrows, a redheaded woodpecker, lots of house sparrows, and a yellow rumped warbler. We tried to get a photo of the warbler, but it kept darting into the ashe juniper where it could hide from the camera.
    Yellow-rumped Warbler 2.jpg
    this is a photo from a previous year when the "butter butt" wasn't so shy!

2. Loading...

3. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

MG I am glad to hear of the birds return. I know there have been reports of declining bird populations. It is doubly real when you actually observe it.

For some reason this winter gold finches have been among the missing. They were present in the fall, gone until a brief appearance right around Christmas for one week. Since then they have been gone again. ??? Ordinarily they are with us throughout the year.

Logan and Sjoerd like this.
  4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

What a marvellous foto, Jane. My Bride liked it too and found it aptly named. BTW, have you shown this bird before — a long, long time ago? It seems so familiar. Maybe it was Kildale. That little butter butt spot rings a bell.

I have also missed the presence of some birds this winter as well. One thing may be the presence of bird flu in this country brought in by the migrators. It has been found in chicken batteries here, resulting in the mass destruction of thousands of chooks and quarantine restrictions for the farms. This bird flu is a serious thing in our country for it kills many songbirds as well as commercial fowl, and our economy is in great part an agricultural-based one.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2022
    Cayuga Morning likes this.
  5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I have also noticed a lack of some species here. Starlings (that were the bane of my life) have gone completely and, strangely, I now miss their chatter. Tree creepers, nuthatches, and greenfinches have also gone. Other bird numbers have dropped - except for wood pigeons which appear to be on the increase.

Logan and Sjoerd like this.

Advertisement
  6. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Sjoerd, I may have posted that photo before--we were not able to get a good picture of the one visiting now.
    Cayuga, we have had intermittent visits from gold finches since October. Sometimes they are here, other times not.
    It is cold and windy today, and the birds are hitting the feeders hard.

Cayuga Morning and Sjoerd like this.
  7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Jane—Well maybe I am just imagining it. It wouldn’t be the first time—just ask my Bride. :D
    Anyhow, it is a super foto, I can count the feathers.

8. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

We only have goldfinches in the winter and they arrived last week. Haven't had green finches for a few years and the starlings. Lovely pic @marlingardener

marlingardener likes this.
  9. mart

mart Strong Ash

Ours are late too MG ! Just this week a few of the Chicadees have returned ! Of course this warm weather has not helped ! Poor birds don`t know its winter !

Logan and marlingardener like this.
  10. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

Beautiful photo! More! :like:

11. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Lovely bird! So glad they are back. Our bird population is dwindling, but we're happy to observe a fine flock of bramblings (Fringilla montifringilla) in our garden this year.

Sjoerd likes this.
  12. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Young Pine

Here in "suburbia" the birds never go far, with so many gardens close together. Sometimes "ours" seem to disappear for a couple of days. This means they've just found a source of food nearer than ours. They disappeared for a few days last week, but they are back with a vengence, "Rocky" robin, "Winnie" wagtail, the four blackbirds, the dunnocks, sparrows, bluetits, a pair of starlings and a pair of jays. But not all at the same time.

Cayuga Morning and Sjoerd like this.
  13. Tetters

Tetters Young Pine

We have been discussing this also in the last couple of days. We haven't seen tree creepers, nuthatches, or greenfinches for years, and the lesser spotted woodpecker seems non existent too. The bullfinch has also disappeared as have the firecrests.
    With the amount of greenfield land now vanishing and being replaced by housing and roads I daresay even more of our precious wildlife will suffer and perish.
    We have been hearing the ''death team'' out there in the fields today, happily killing anything they can for the love of their ''sport'' I am unable to type the words we use to describe the scene. :mad:

marlingardener and eileen like this.
  14. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Tetters, we don't allow hunting on our land. We do allow some fishing, since the ponds get overcrowded with catfish and perch, and the population needs to be thinned. What the herons, anhingas, and turtles don't take, we allow certain people to fish here.
    We have had strangers want to hunt our land. We say no, and if they argue, I tell them I'll have open hunting season on trespassers. That seems to shut down the conversation.:smt068

Cayuga Morning likes this.