Birds in my town

Discussion in 'Bird' started by Shawchert, Jan 10, 2015.

1. Shawchert

Shawchert In Flower

so You guys have been showing off all the beautiful birds in your area. I do not have a back yard, living in an apartment, and i'm not allowed to set out seed cause you know... corporations and all. but there are still birds to be had!

All these pictures were taken last year! I have yet to get anything for this year because i'm too warm blooded to take my camera out lol.

First we have a pond in front of our hospital that houses huuuundreds of ducks, and two swans.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The area is also full of Robins!

[​IMG]

I just barely caught a Cardinal couple last year. I hope to get better pictures of them this year. They come by every year to the same area they are just very elusive in NY

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Our most common bird here is most definitely the house sparrow they are EVERYWHERe and still are, though they hide themselves in the bushes at this time of year

[​IMG]

Then there are the birds I have no idea what they are, I have found two or the same one, not sure, but it is strange looking to me. These pictures are of the same bird, taken the same day ^^

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then my most favourite of aall, the great blue haron that comes to visit us in the summer time, who is quite elusive to the camera, but I managed a couple shots. This was done in early morining so it's not so easy to see, but best ones I have of it

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Frank, Kay, Donna S and 3 others like this.
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. marlingardener
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Melody Mc.
      Replies:
      Views:

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Your mystery bird may be a Night Heron Shaw. It has the same stubby build, the long bill and legs that makes me think this is what it could be.

You may not be able to feed the birds where you are but you take some wonderful photographs of them, I hope to see more pictures from you when the weather improves. :-D

4. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

Great birds pics! I wonder if anyone can ID the mystery bird up in the tree. I don't know. I reminds me of a Shorebird of some sort.

5. Shawchert

Shawchert In Flower

Oh wow I think you solved my mystery :O

and thank you. I love taking pictures :D I am hoping to get myself a new camera this year. Not sure, we'll see.

Advertisement
  6. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Those are great photos, and I envy you your scads of ducks! Our pond so far has had four ducks show up :( .
    Herons are difficult to photograph--they blend in to the background so well. I think your photos of the Blue are very good--artistic, even.
    Even if you don't get a new camera you are doing quite well with the one you have!

7. Shawchert

Shawchert In Flower

Oh I did forget I got pictures with my phhone of the haron.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Frank likes this.
  8. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I think herons are one of the most photogenic birds. You managed to catch your one superbly. :-D

9. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

I think the title of our forum, 'Wildlife in the Garden', is a bit misleading sometimes. I'm glad you decided to post your local wildlife from outside the garden Shawchert. We just really love wildlife pics!

10. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

Beautiful pictures....and thank you for sharing them with us. We have the cardinals all year here in Wisconsin. I find it hard to believe that any bird would want to put up with the cold and snow but I am glad they do.

11. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

HiShawchert - all. Lovely photos and such a variety. Happy to see some we have in UK - the Swan, Mallards and House Sparrow - its this I would like to comment on if I may, the Sparrow - a real pleasure to see them there with you.
    Where we live they are now a rare sight with just occasional colonies in bushes/hedges to be seen. Their numbers are sadly in decline a lot of it due possibly to houses now having their roofs sealed off and no entrance for them to build nests - this apart from any environmental issues. Years ago almost every house and building had them.

Where we live they are a rare sight with only odd colonies in bushes in hedges - one bird only seen in our garden in four years. Hopefully they are doing well elsewhere in the world as with you.

Are they (or were they) the most widespread birds in the world - does anyone know?
    Syd.

12. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi. Lovely photos and such a variety. Happy to see some we have in UK - the Swan and House Sparrow - its this I would like to comment on if I may, the Sparrow - a real pleasure to see them there with you.
    Where we live they are now a rare sight with just occasional colonies in bushes/hedges to be seen. Their numbers are sadly in decline a lot of it due possibly to houses now having their roofs sealed off and no entrance for them to build nests - this apart from any environmental issues. Years ago almost every house and building had them.

Where we live they are a rare sight with only odd colonies in bushes in hedges - one bird only seen in our garden in four years. Hopefully they are doing well elsewhere in the world as in your plot.

Are they (or were they) the most widespread birds in the world - does anyone know?
    Syd.

13. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Shawchert-those are some great photo's of the Blue heron. We where watching a special on the Queen of Englands beautiful gardens and wildlife in them. Wow what a special place they have created around the Palace. Anyway. While we were watching they where talking about spring time and all the new babies that had hatched in the gardens. They showed a family of ducks swimming with their little fuzzy ducklings. All of a sudden a heron swooped in and the mother duck warned her ducklings to dive for cover under the water. She kept swimming around the heron and hitting the water with her wings to create a diversion. But the heron scooped up a little duckling and swallowed it :eek: :( .
    I didn't think they hunted other small baby birds. But they had a family to feed as well. Still very sad to see. We see them quite often standing in the river behind our home.

Sydney---I would love to capture and ship over to you all of our Sparrows. I would think if you built them bird houses to live in that it would help with bringing their numbers back.
    Here in the US they are one of the main reasons our Blue Bird population is in decline. As the go into the Blue Bird houses and kill the parent on the nest. Or they destroy all the eggs in the nest and build their next on top of the destroyed Blue bird eggs.
    I always leave a house for the sparrows to nest in and then I can see that no eggs hatch. I would build them some nesting boxes to help them make a come back in England.