Bird's nest in my hanging basket!!! Question....

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by tracydanger, Jun 4, 2008.

1. tracydanger

tracydanger New Seed

I noticed the other day that just one of my hanging baskets with Million Bells appears to be doing poorly as compared with the other. I have treated them both the same w/watering, etc. I suspected that there was a nest in one of them, but last night when I took them down before a storm I found the nest with four little eggs in it! The belong to the little wren that has been "hiding" in there and scaring me to death every time I walk out to the porch!

My question is: do you think the nest or perhaps the bird droppings are affecting the flowers? They just are starting to look a little less brillant (red to now a peachy/drab red) and perhaps they are on their way to dying. I don't have the heart to move the nest as a friend suggested, but that basket wasn't cheap!

Any suggestions or experience with this?

2. Loading...

3. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

The only person I know of who got a nest in a basket just let them be. She said that the blooms were only for one year, but the birds would be there for several years, and imagine the amount of bugs they would be eating! Sorry I can't advice you.

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

We've had nests in hanging baskets and I simply leave them alone. It won't be long before the eggs hatch. The young will only be in the nest for approx three weeks so even if they do affect your plants the good they'll all do by eating bugs will be well worth it. :stew2:

5. CritterPainter

CritterPainter Awed by Nature

I agree with Eileen. But one concern, do keep an eye on the nest, the parents might abandon it now that it's been disturbed.
    Once it's done it's job, the little nest could make a lovely addition to an outdoor display, if it's one that can be removed from the basket.

Advertisement
  6. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Jubabe has one every year in her Hoya hanging on her porch.They have hatched already this year and flew away.She loves it.

7. tschnath

tschnath In Flower

I would leave it alone, the flowers can always be replaced later, but little birdies are there and they will eat your bugs. Keep us posted and see if you can get pics for us.

8. Wrennie

Wrennie In Flower

The droppings are fertilizing the basket.
    If you live in the US you need to know all wild bird nests are federally protected and you should not disturb it.

9. Bluebirdie

Bluebirdie Seedling

A Carolina Wren built a nest in a hanging basket of pansies I had on my back porch earlier this spring. After the eggs hatched the flowers took somewhat of a beating with both parents coming and going, feeding the young. It was definitely worth it though! I could go right up to the basket and peek in at the babies. I don't know what would be affecting the color of your Million Bells at this point. I don't think the pansies were affected that way. I hope you are able to enjoy the birds and your flowers! Here are some pics of my little friend.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]