Birds Of A Feather

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Sjoerd, Apr 4, 2014.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

The bird protection season has begun here. it is early, but I have already found the first nest (a month earlier than last year). It is a lapwing's nest with three eggs. I found a fourth egg yesterday.
    [​IMG]

Whilst out in the countryside looking in fields for mating or nesting behaviour in the fields, The landscape behind where I was sitting and observing was picturesque, I thought.

Here is a series of the same place:
    [​IMG]

The dike and reeds behind it really had a wild feel to it.

There was also an old church that stuck out above the dike.
    [​IMG]

By moving a little further down, the view was a little different.
    [​IMG]

Well, it was a perfect day, even though there was little avian activity. The migraters had not yet arrived in their great numbers, but I expect them in the coming days. Still there were a few birds strutting about on the ground and flying in the air-- making dramatic dives and angulated swerves.

I just love being out of doors, with the wind in my hair, the sun in my face and the sound of birds in my ear. If I had feathers, I would join them.

Frank, Henry Johnson, Jewell and 3 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

We had a great day yesterday also. Today, not so much, but i enjoyed every waking moment yesterday. I needed it....

Nice pics....

4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Beautiful countryside Sjoerd! Thanks for sharing. After yesterday we needed some bright skies here. today isn't as bad, but your pictures are much nicer to look at.

5. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

I agree with your Sjoerd - that's a really beautiful view! Any idea when that church was built?

Advertisement
  6. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Your Lapwings are ahead of ours Sjoerd. I expect ours to begin laying round about the beginning of May.
    Thanks for sharing your find and wonderful scenery with us all.

7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thanks WARE--I'm glad that you had some decent weather at last.

Thank you CAROLYN--I was rather swept-away with the beauty of the landscape that day. I know its an old cliché, but the pictures really do not do that bit of land justice.

FRANK--I do not know when that church was built, but if I ever go by it (on the other side of the dike), I will try and remember to look for you.

Wow EILEEN-- I would not have guessed that you guys would be so far behind us....usually it is the other way around, or at least closer to the same time.
    I am glad that you liked the scenery.

Frank likes this.
  8. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Beautiful.

9. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Beautiful countryside!

10. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Those eggs look just like the Kildeer eggs I always find on my lawn and in my veggie garden. I noticed the Kildeer are back and I have already chased them out of my garden!

11. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thanks so much, KK.

I appreciate that CHERYL. Thank you.

Thanks NETTY--Neither wonder that you find that they look similar to your kildeer eggs, for they are in the same family (in terms of Scientific Classification). The Family Charadriidae. The genus and species are different, but as I said the Family is the same.

I see your birds in the fields here sometimes as well. I have to observe and look closely to get the correct identification because plovers also come into the wetter fields.

You know, it could be interesting for you to allow at least one bird to nest in your garden or lawn and observe it . You could count the eggs and keep a record. You could then see how many hatched out, how many were destroyed or were infertile....and also note the disposition. That is to say, how many chicks came out and got large enough to leave your property.

You could also try and get pictures of their legs to see if they were banded. It really gets interesting if you could photograph the band and call it in in your state.

Actually Netty, you have an excellent opportunity here to do with one nest what I do for many. I'll bet that you would really enjoy the process, for it is quite interesting.

Heck--you could even post a developmental series of foto's on here. I'd be terribly interested. :)