Blue Is Pink

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Sjoerd, Aug 21, 2020.

1. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

the more established bushes do much better than the smaller one. I have them planted in peat but that drys to the point of water running off if it comes too fast. I am trying. I just have too much to do. somethings just don't get the attention they should.

Cayuga Morning and Sjoerd like this.
  2. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I know you nice woman. I know.
    To avoid that problem I mixed garden soil and some of my compost with the rhodi soil when I planted them, to try and hold the moisture, but what helps best is pine bark chips. I just soak the ground thoroughly then apply the bark bits then water it again. I can see why the ground dries iut quickly—nothing there to hold the moisture.
    Don’t give up, those berries are such a delight to have.

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

My load of last year's pine chips left over from a job Kevin did were well used this week....but alas no pink lemonade could be found. I replaced it with a variety called Duke. I bought a bunch of new ones this year called sunshine and something else... hmmm. can't think of it. both rows for a total of 24 blueberry plants... all mulched and cleaned as best as I could for now.

Sjoerd likes this.
  4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

That sounds exciting for the future. I hope that these will work for you. How large were those new plants that you just bought? After a couple of yeas before really get going the way you want. Fingers crossed here, mate.

Advertisement
  5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Nice sized. 1gallon pots. Multi stemmed. Hopefully I can pop up a photo. I thought I had a couple but they weren't on the camera card when I came in. Had an errand to run so I will try again later.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2020
    Sjoerd likes this.
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Oké C. I am curious. I have not heard of the two types you mentioned. Good luck with the piccies.

7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I also have Springhigh, Elliot chandler and blueray

8. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

100_2757.JPG 100_2758.JPG

here are the mulched blue berries. two rows are done. it was getting dark so the pictures were a little fuzzy sorry.

9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

That bed of plants looks ideal. It looks perfect. I think that the most important thing is that you have a variety of different bushes together. Somehow they seem to do better when there is a variety of sorts together. They do look like youngish plants although I am not familiar with any of the sorts that you have. I guess we are offered a whole different range here, except for the “pink Lemonade”, which was developed over there.
    I reckon that you are well chuffed with beds. It is an impressive sight to see.

10. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

thank you. the older bushes are at the other end of the bed. they are all about 5' tall. just hard to see in the waning light. the little ones with their leaves still on are the new ones I bought this Fall abd replaced dead bushes or extended the bed by a couple plants.

11. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Oké then...older ones at the back. Gottit.
    Ach Carolyn, I have so much respect for you and what you do there.
    I hope these new ones work out for you.