Blueberry bush suggestions.

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by daisybeans, Mar 3, 2010.

1. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Hey Bunkie! I just took time to check out the link to DiMeo Farms and I see they are in the southern part of New Jersey, where blueberries grow wild and are seriously delicious. I'm pretty excited for your blueberry project too. It sounds like your DiMeo bluberries are going to be very special. I'm going to go browse that site some more. Thanks!

2. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

That sure was an interesting site, Bunkie. I wished I lived close to that place, I would certainaly like to visit.

3. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

daisy, i was wondering how close you were to that site, Dimeo's. it does look like a great place, and like they know what they're doing! i had to call them to let them know when to ship the plants and the guy there was extra nice. maybe they can help you with the soil stuff...

4. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

I had the same thought, Bunkie. It's about 2.5 hours drive from here. It looks like a really interesting place. I think I will call them and ask some questions and get 2 plants shipped from them. It would be a nice day trip too maybe. Wish you and Sjoerd and Muddy Knees could meet me there!

Advertisement
  5. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

me too daisy! now i'm excited! my plants won't arrive till April sometime...that's when they figured would be best. i think you'll really like the people there. keep us up on it! :D

6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Yes...me too! It might be difficult getting me out of there, though--I'd have to look and look and check everything out thoroughly....but, it would have to involve a bite to eat somewhere. ;)

7. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

That's OK, Sjoerd, we'd all chatter the whole time. Like magpies. They would probably put us to work eventually.

Bunkie, I meant to ask you what varieties you're going to be getting.

Boy, I'm glad you guys are into this. My friends and family think I'm a little obsessed. My niece Julie was excited when I told her though. I think we will plant her one at her house too.

8. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

gee daisy, i'm not sure. the card just said 5 'premium blueberry plants'! they probably will pick ones best for our area.

9. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Well! I bought a Bluecrop blueberry bush. I've learned from local people who are "in the know" (I hope...) that Bluecrop is a variety that grows well here in Maryland. It gets fruit in mid to late Summer. This particular bush was started in northern Virginia, so pretty close to here. It's been dormant and is beginning to show some tiny little bud swellings. I bought it from a brand new nursery that's owned by a father/son team. The Dad has been a Christmas tree grower for years and the son is a recent graduate of West Virginia University with a degree in horticulture. I really hope they are successful! He (the son) certainly was enthusiastic and I loved that. I'm going to get two other bushes from DiMeo... I'm thinking a Patriot since Sjoerd reco'd it and I'll see what they have to reco for the third type. So exciting!

10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Great report this time, Daisy! I am getting the excitement from your posting.
    Will you mail-order tfrom DiMeo, or drive up there one weekend?
    I like it that you are getting three sorts of bushes. Very wise. You can see which perform the best for you there.

My fingers are so tightly crossed for you, they are turning blue!.....blueberry blue, that is. ;)

11. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Hah! Blue fingers to go with your green thumb. Thanks for the good wishes.
    I think I may wind up having DiMeo send the bushes to me as I don't think I can get up there before I want to plant. But I don't know, I may change my mind. It may depend on when they would be sending them too...

12. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Ok then Dazse...buuuuuut.....if you DO go up to NJ, take some pics.
    Then I will have the feeling that I went along too. hahahaha.

Seriously though, it would be nice to see their layout.

Ordering them by mail is probably much easier for you.

13. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

You know I will document the whole shebang if or when I go. I was thinking it might be nice to go when things are actively growing -- what do you think?

PS - Found the soil acidifier today. Now it is supposed to rain through Sunday...

14. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Yes, it would be...but just for esthetics. If you want to get some berries this year it might be nice to get those plants in the ground as soon as you can, though.
    Perhaps you can ask a pal to go with you...if you go.

You are such a busy person that I can imagine that you may not have the time to make that drive at this time.

Any more ideas for that third bush yet? You really have my curiosity up now.

p.s. Glad you found that soil acidifier. Well done, you!

15. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

I placed a call today to DiMeo -- very excited to talk to them. They say they return calls within 24 hours. I will have to order the bushes through the mail. I just don't have a full day to devote to the field trip before I'd want them to be planted.... I'd like to go when they arent' so busy too, so I can ask lots and lots of questions.

Two that they refer to on the website that sound interesting are Duke (early to mid producing) and Elliott (late).