Blueberry bush suggestions.

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by daisybeans, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I think that this place (DiMeo) is a good place.
    I can fully understand you ordering from them. Ordering is not bad, you can sometimes find very good places this way.
    I just got my Clematis plants in this morning and they were packed in layers of shredded documents in a sturdy box. I like this company. I have ordered blueberry and Philadelphus bushes from them in the past. I am always impressed at the quality of their plants and the care to detail when shipping and packing.
    It's one thing to order a plant and another to have it shipped. Some places just sort of throw their plants into a box and ship it. They arrive with broken twigs and soil all over the place. But not these guys.

Anyway send a foto of your new bushes when they arrive, ok?

2. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Ooh, what kind of clematis did you get today, Sjoerd?
    Last year I ordered a rhododendren from a grower in New Jersey and it was obvious that they took great pains to make sure it arrived safely. I was impressed. I would expect Dimeo to do the same as they seem to take great pride in their long history and fine quality.

3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I got the Clematis terniflora. it's the same type that I had been nurturing until Miss Rose decided to prune the new shoot off. Remember that episode? :twisted: I am still unhappy about that. :)

It makes a difference how ordered plants are packed. it has determined from whom I order. I would pay a little more for a plant if I know it's packed for sending properly. I'm not kidding.

I hope that those blueberry bushes you ordered come to you with no damage at all.

4. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Spoke to Dimeo today... They have a minimum order of 5 plants... and can only ship two varieties within the 5. They recommended Duke (early) and Bluecrop (mid-late) as they say these are the best growers in MD. I will have to find homes for a couple if I order these... hmm. Perhaps my niece.

Advertisement
  5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

That sounds like a good idea. You had already mentioned your niece. Do you think that she'll be interested? Have you scouted possible planting sites there at her home?
    You are really having some interesting developments aren't you.

...But tell me, can't you fit in those extra plants in your yard?

6. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

hey daisy, i can't find the thread we were discussing on soil testers, so am posting here.

we decided to go with these two, one as backup to recheck the other...

Luster Leaf 1601 Rapitest Soil Test Kit

[​IMG]

Luster Leaf 1880 Rapitest Electronic 4 Way Analyzer

[​IMG]

we will be test-hopping them next week. will post results.

just got word from Dimeo Farms that our blueberry plants have been shipped!

7. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Hey Bunkie! Great news on the blueberries shipping. We must compare notes.... Yours got to stay in the ground a lot longer than mine did. I wonder how yours will look when they arrive. Mine were so tiny but they're champs. Nest year will be fun with them. The 2nd soil tester looks like it's the same one I bought, or at least the same manufacturer.

OK, break time is over for me now! Enjoy your day!

8. GreenMachine

GreenMachine New Seed

WOW, This whole thread has been very educational for me. I planted 3 Spartan plants on hugh pots a few weeks back and had to purchase rhododendron/azalea fertilizer for mine. I used some potting soil that had water retention crystals. They look like little pieces of foam. The plants seem to be doing well for now. They are about 12-14" tall with new vertical growth. I don't have a picture yet, I'll get one out tomorrow. I hope they do well.

Green

9. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

whelp, i'm not real happy about how they sent the plants. they arrived today. they are over 18 inches long with lots of wilted leaves and lots of blossoms on them, and broken branches.

their roots are pretty bare and rolled up and wrapped in plastic baggies, and quite dry. i always thought 'bare rooted' shipping was for 'dormant' plants?!

they came in a big box and had nothing around them, no newspaper or anything for support, so they were banged up quite a bit. i just emailed the company this letter...will let you know if there's a response. i've got the 'kids' in a tubtrug with lots of water hoping they recover...

10. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

I hope you get a response Bunkie. That's really disappointing. Mine were shipped that way, but they hadn't even begun to bud out at all and were small, not damaged.... What a terrible shame.... I think they will make good for you. But still, the disappointment is the thing. I wanted to compare notes, but this is not the note I was hoping to hear.... keep us posted on the progress. I hope that they soaking helps them out.

11. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

thanks daisy! i'm going to soak them over night and then trim any of the wilted leaves that don't come back. will keep you posted, maybe pics...

12. GreenMachine

GreenMachine New Seed

Wow that was not a very good packing job Bunkie. I'm sorry to hear about this, I know how excited you were. Did they charge you for that. Hopefully they will do the right thing.
    I hope the tomatoes I ordered arrive in good shape. The packaging they use is expensive so I hope I get my monies worth.

So here are my blueberries so far. Just after the pictures I put in pine bark mulch and fertilizer.

[​IMG]
    one of three blue berry plants ( photo / image / picture from GreenMachine's Garden )

[​IMG]
    one of the others ( photo / image / picture from GreenMachine's Garden )

So are these looking good? I have no history to go
    by. We also have two new visitors to a nearby tree.

[​IMG]
    the dove and her babies ( photo / image / picture from GreenMachine's Garden )

13. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Aww, pretty doves...
    I've got no history to go by either, GreenMachine. To me, your little plants look very happy and healthy. I have been told not to expect a lot of growth this year from mine and that's fine. Yours look like a different variety than mine. Yours seem to have larger, more reddish leaves and more leaves than mine have.

14. GreenMachine

GreenMachine New Seed

This type is "Spartan". I was a bit worried about the red color but they don't seem to be having any problems like wilt or dry tips. I was told the same thing about production on my blackberries but I got a few. Enough to wet my appetite so I hope for the best here as well.

15. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Bunkie, how have you made out reviving the "kids?" I hope they're OK. Have you gotten a response from DiMeo?