Boats.

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by Philip Nulty, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

You can never guess just what topic will next appear on GardenStew,..but boats it is.

I was on a visit to the Island of Majorca and spotted lots of Bayliner boats,..i just loved how they moved on the water,..plus with a 5.7 Liter engine and sleeping accommodation for six people i was won over,..below is a Bayliner i looked at last year in March.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lq4Xpj49 ... re=related

By April that year a new Bayliner appeared here,lol.

However,..this is a Bayliner 2655.
    [​IMG]
    Bayliner 2655 ( photo / image / picture from Philip Nulty's Garden )

Someone else has charge with this boat as they have an identical one.

I still use the one below.

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Philip Nulty's Garden )

2. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I prefer your boat Philip. I know the other one is built for speed and is a luxury model but status symbols just don't impress me much. I think I'd also feel safer in your Jelly Fish somehow.

3. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

I prefer the Jelly Fish,..its really a fishing boat and can comfortably take five people,..the other boat is really for tourist use and seeing a friend had one it seemed a good idea to have a similar one,..both of the boats are rented out to boat owners here on holiday from abroad,..less chance of damage with experienced crew,..so far i might add.

4. kathyd

kathyd In Flower

Your boat looks good, fishing in it would be fun. I also think the whole picture is lovely. I like the way the clouds reflect in the background of the lake.

Advertisement
  5. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi kathyd,
    its a comfortable boat to fish in,..and should it rain there is shelter,..that was a very calm nice day,..about 10 mile from home,..the size of the picture doesn't do the scenery justice, :rolleyes: .

6. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

Some years back we used to have a boat on Lake Michigan. It was a cuddy cabin lapstrake day cruiser very similar in looks to your Jelly Fish boat. It had a Hercules six cylinder engine, inboard. It's name was Snuffy. We did a lot of fishing and cruising from it. But, our youngest son would fall asleep as soon as we left the harbor and wake up again when we were back at the dock. We finally sold it when the fees for the dock got way too high. A boat is a hole in the water lined with wood into which you pour money.
    dooley

7. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

That's a quote I'm going to send to my two brother who live on their sailboats and seem to always be "working" on them.
    :-D
    They love it... and I envy them for being able to lead such carefree lives after working so long and hard at their careers.
    And Philip.... Not sure I've seen the photo of Jelly Fish before. She's a beauty! I'd be proud to do some cruising or fishing from a vessel that looks so comfy.

8. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Dooley,
    that's a lovely description,.. "A boat is a hole in the water lined with wood into which you pour money"
    ,..but very true,..the "Jelly Fish" is berthed at private moorings and was costing me 2.000 Euro $2.700 per year,..but this year i had it reduced to half that,..but its still dead money where that boat is concerned,..however when i feel like getting away from everyone its my escape,..as for the other,..after two season it paid for more than its cost.

Snuffy was in the right place,..Lake Michigan,..i just could not get my brain to register that it was a lake and not the sea,..its so vast,..and with a sandy beach and sand dunes it really looked like the sea.

Lol about your young son falling asleep on setting out and not waking up until the return,..amazing!.

----------------------------------------------------

Hi Cheryl,
    you posted as i was typing a response to Dooley,..and you also liked her description of a boat,lol.

So you never had sight of the "Jelly Fish",..i must post more about her,..she came across to Ireland by ferry,.. from Lyme Bay on the South West Coast of England,..right to my doorstep,..a sea faring boat and so the name "Jelly Fish",..it raises a few eyebrows on the fresh water lake with a name like that.

I can understand your brothers loving the boats and water,..if only i could make more time for myself and good weather :rolleyes: .

The Jelly Fish.

[​IMG]
    Tea Break. ( photo / image / picture from Philip Nulty's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Jam Tarts. ( photo / image / picture from Philip Nulty's Garden )

9. Henry Johnson

Henry Johnson In Flower

Philip;
    I was impressed with 'Jelly Fish' since first time seeing it in one of your pics.. I was wondering how the cabin was laid out and these pics have satisfied my curiosity.. Appears to be ideal for fishing expeditions yet can be used for many things, such as comfortable sight-seeing cruises up and down the Shannon.. Hank
    By the way, what's her length?

10. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I've never understood the fascination with getting into a boat and going so fast you can't enjoy the scenery!
    I like your boat, Philip--it looks welcoming and well able to take a leisurely journey complete with a little fishing and a tea break.
    My husband and I tried sailing once--we found that constantly doing something to keep going wasn't what we had in mind, so we bought and restored an old Austin Healey instead (and constantly was tweaking it to keep it running!).

11. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

So a boat sounds like owning a horse. I am glad I don't have to worry about a boat here. Kevin doesn't swim. so I think I am pretty safe from owning a boat.

Nice boats, Philip

12. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Hank,
    she is a good little boat,..the length is 17 foot and the fishing area is 6 ft wide so room enough for four people to fish,..i did a lot of thinking before buying this boat,..considering the size of our nearest lake,..12 mile wide in places,..so if out in the middle and a storm started,..i needed to get to shelter quickly,..storms can start up on the lake very quickly,..so the 40 hp engine will get me to shelter fast.

I have ofter slept on board,..the boat cover is kept in the hold,..and can be set up to give shelter if i decide to stay on board,..oh pictures can be deceptive,..so looking at the two boats you wouldn't see that one is 17 ft long and the other 26 ft long.

---------------------------------------------------

Hi Jane,
    i agree with you about the speed thing in boats,..i like to laze along enjoying what i see and there is always something new,..be it plant life or wildlife.

Sailing i tried,..its a nice experience,..not having to use the engine,..alas i used to smoke back then and found my hands were always employed doing something instead of relaxing,..your Austin Healy would be a different matter,..oh i could tune and tweak until a glass of water sat undisturbed on the engine,lol.

Hi Carolyn,
    like owning a horse,..that's close,..as i have to go check on her every so often,..check how she is tied up and give enough rope,..as for swimming that i can do,..but i find lots of fishermen of old didn't want to know how to swim,..they would rather die quickly if gone overboard,..rather than fighting to thread water for heaven knows how long.

This object is something i take with me when boating,..anyone know exactly what it is?,..and why take it aboard,..it has a specific name,..and its 2 inches wide.

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Philip Nulty's Garden )

13. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

My brother mentioned something about always having a gold coin on a boat for safety/good luck.

14. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Cheryl, I think the gold coin was to pay the another boatman to pick you up when your boat sank.
    Word of warning, don't ever let anyone tell you a kayak is fun.

15. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Cheryl,
    the old belief was to keep a gold coin aboard,..somewhere in the keel,..for good luck,..or a silver coin someplace below the mast to protect the ship and the crew against storms,..the coins were usually set there by the shipbuilders,

-----------------------------------------------------

Hi Jane,
    or to pay the Ferryman,..the one who ferries you to wherever,..when you die.

Soooo,..i take it you have looked towards Australia while in a Kayak,..not a nice experience if you can not upright yourself.

Clue.
    The object i posted was first approved and minted in 1741,..but the image on the reverse side was known since around the 1400's,..in Bavaria.

On the side you see are the letters CSSML,..standing for; "Crux Sacra Sit Mihi Lux"

Also the letters NDSMD,..standing for ; "Non Draco Sit Mihi Dux".