Bonsai

Discussion in 'Houseplants' started by azw1879, Apr 12, 2006.

1. azw1879

azw1879 Seedling

I was delighted to have found and joined this gardening-related site, hopefully giving an idea of some work that I've done in the garden, what plans I'm considering, my main interest, etc. However, you probably know that I've been concentrating a bit on the relaxation aspects of being in the garden and in the house - origami, sudoku, kakuro, tai chi music, etc., as I do believe in the quieter times on an almost equal basis to what can be quite hectic times in the garden, with projects, general upkeep, etc. Without realising it myself, some of the things I like are kind of connected, which definitely have a calming influence. What I had been trying to think of was something for in the house, which would complete such a 'set' of pleasing pastimes. Aware of the fact that there are no plants as such in the house, I truly liked the idea of Bonsai. Can I ask if anyone has 1 or 2 of these, and what your opinions are of them ?

Thanks

C.J.

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

CJ I've left info in the book forum for you regarding Bonsai's. :D

4. azw1879

azw1879 Seedling

Many thanks. I thought I'd 'break' this subject in two, when I posted both topics. Discussion aspect here and book enquiry there, sort of thing. :)

Yes. I had been thinking about Bonsai, then looking through a recent catalogue, I saw a Bonsai Elm Tree available :eek: . So, I considered it was 'meant to be' and may purchase it in a couple of weeks :D

The idea is, if I can maintain this one okay, then I can add to it later with others ;)

C.J.

5. catkins

catkins Seedling

Ive got two bonsai seedlings, that i grew from seed!! Mind you, its taken them months just to get to seedling height, gonna take years, i think i will get bored before then. :D

Advertisement
  6. azw1879

azw1879 Seedling

Yes. The Bonsai that I'm considering acquiring is well-established (6yrs) and about 7" in height :D Unless a Bonsai enthusiast, as in, growing them from scratch, it may be better to do the same as myself and get them already grown and 'shaped'. Then, it's just a matter of maintaining them properly. :)

C.J. ;)

7. azw1879

azw1879 Seedling

Although not plants, I've read in my Bonsai book that there are such things as 'Suiseki' which are ornamental stones which are used to enhance a bonsai tree by placing one nearby.

These stones are more than that, but actually are chosen because aspects about them appear to represent mountains, cliffs, waterfalls, caves, etc., all very interesting.

If you check out sites about them, some images are truly amazing, as the 'Suiseki' are displayed.

Just thought I'd let anyone interested in bonsai, know of this additional item.

C.J.

8. muddybob

muddybob In Flower

Bonsais are not houseplants. Bring them in and you'll most likely see them die. They must experience dormancy in the winter so we bury the pots in sawdust to protect the roots from freezing which will also kill them. Get a good book to guide you in your new hobby. I'm excited for you!
    What is AZW1879? I think I know but just tell me. I suspect it is not your license plate number.

muddy

9. azw1879

azw1879 Seedling

There does appear to be some types of bonsai you can have in the house, although precautions must be taken about placing them, heat sources, etc., which could damage or kill them.

In my book it shows you how various bonsai are displayed outside by enthusiasts.

Also, for the interior bonsai there are various types of stands and 'accent' ideas, which again enhance the bonsai.

I'm hoping to acquire 1 or 2 bonsai at some stage, and hopefully learn more about them along the way.

Apparently, there is a bonsai tool kit which supplies all equipment necessary, to maintain them properly.

azw1879 - Anglo-Zulu War 1879. My main interest within it being the Battle at Isandlwana and the senior officer involved Col. A.W. Durnford, R.E.

C.J.

10. muddybob

muddybob In Flower

My other half did inform me that there are some bonsais that can be done indoors. I did not know. He's the expert and I only admire his efforts. What kind of indoor bonsai do you like? You'll have to get us a picture when you've made your selection.
    I thought that is what it stood for. I've been consumed with more recent history of some of the former colonies as of late. I would like to know what books you would recommend on your pet subject.
    Muddy

11. azw1879

azw1879 Seedling

As there are a wide variety of bonsai, it is quite difficult to be sure what to choose, as there are also many styles.

There are great sites dedicated to bonsai and accessories, so I want to make the right choice eventually, being an amateur I'd like a selection of the types I may have the most success with, before moving on to other varieties.

There is a fantastic website dedicated to the Anglo-Zulu War 1879 - rorkesdriftvc.com - which contains just about everything, including advice on books, films, documentaries, etc.

C.J.

12. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Bonsai is something I would love to get into as well C.J but I just know it is one of those things where you could never approach it half-hearted. That's why I know I would love it ;)

13. azw1879

azw1879 Seedling

Definitely. The bonsai book I recommended elsewhere on the site certainly should get you hooked on the subject. :-D

C.J.

14. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

You mean?
    'Growing Bonsai: A Practical Encyclopedia.
    by Ken Norman.

15. azw1879

azw1879 Seedling

That's the one.

I imagine there are other excellent titles on the subject, but if like me, an amateur interested in pursuing it further, this book covers most areas, without getting caught up in technical jargon, which might have put off beginners, but a nice easy, well-illustrated read, showing how displays can be obtained, as well as tools, stands, accents, suiseki, etc.

Highly recommended.

C.J.

16. Coppice

Coppice In Flower

This thread is five years stale. So I'll wonder out loud do any of the posters still have their bonsai?

While I no longer have an ecyclopaedic collection due to a recent move. Nothing of my direct experience suggests to me that trees should live indoors year round.

Tender trees DO need to overwinter indoors yes. All year indoors? No.